installing edelbrock 1114 on a 1979 425
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, installing edelbrock 1114 on a 1979 425 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Nothing but headaches, first, the electrical switch that threads through the throttle arm will not go on, no matter how ...
    Reverend Hearse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Collins hearse, 1979 Coupe , 1984 Seville,1990 fleet'
    Nothing but headaches, first, the electrical switch that threads through the throttle arm will not go on, no matter how I try and position it , its higher than stock and the arm is shaped different.second, the vacuum line that goes above the brake booster port in the rear of the qjet is not present on the 1114 , where does it tie into??? I know people have gotten these to work on the 425 , but I never knew it would be such a nerve racking experience.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: installing edelbrock 1114 on a 1979 425

I'm not quite picturing it. You may need a spacer under the carb if there is interference with the linkage; that could cause interference with the hood though.. The other vacuum line should be able to splice into something else. I'll take a look at mine later today and see if I can add anything else.

had to use a adapter on the carb , i used a t fitting in the line for the trans. it starts , but the idle is very high , and it has backfired a bit...

i need toknow,which porton the carb does the transmission vacuum connect to? i currently have it on the pasenger side port and it seems a bit of on the shifts, otherwise its tuned and running fine

At this rate,I could burn it and have more entertainment....I know someone here has done this before, why such a secret???

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Edelbrock has some attachments that u have to use for some applications in order to get stock applications to work. I have used these on Chebbies and Pontiacs, but have never done a Cadillac. Get a Edelbrock catalog or use their website and check the attachments for the application and manifold you are using.

Its not the making it fit part, its the hooking it up part. I'm not sure what type of vacuum is required to shift the Trans,I believe its manifold vacuum to the Trans and the other port to vacuum advance.......

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

The trans needs full time vacuum. The dist can use either full time or ported vacuum depending on the engine. I normally try to use the ported vacuum. Whenever I buy a car with an Edelbrock carb, I start looking for a Qjet to replace it.

Went through 6 qjets before giving up...the last one supposedly rebuilt and tuned by a well known local speed shop... I moved the vacuum lines around and got all the kinks worked out with the exception of a slight off idle stumble, but some further tuning should solve that...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Off idle stumble can be caused by things away from the Carb itself. Check all dashpots and if they can hold vacumm for the precribed amount of time. Check the advance canister at the distributor and the mechanical advance at the distributor. Check all vacuum lines, that they are not cracked, inside the the engine compartment and inside the passenger compartment. We are talking about a mile and a half of vacuum lines. Anything that robs the carb of vacuum at off idle can cause stumble.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.