Losing Oil in 1976 eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Losing Oil in 1976 eldorado in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, i have a 1976 eldorado and ive been losing oil like crazy since i got the car, the ...
    cullen747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

Losing Oil in 1976 eldorado

Hey guys, i have a 1976 eldorado and ive been losing oil like crazy since i got the car, the strange thing is that the block is dry, i
    have no leaks from the oil pan, and Im not getting any blue smoke, only bad smoke is the white smoke in startup. Ive been using
    valvoline 10w 40 which was recommended to me, and i dont know if the engine is just eating the oil up, any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Losing Oil in 1976 eldorado

Are the valve covers stock? I would double check the PCV and breather to make sure it isn't sucking oil form there. The Valvoline 10-40 is good oil for today's cars but probably doesn't have enough zinc for your engine. I wouldn't drain it right away but next oil change you should try a 15-40 truck oil.

cullen747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

yes the valve covers are stock, but i will check the breathers and pcv, if they are sucking, what should i do? and im going to change the oil soon, so i will definitely switch and try out 15w 40

1970CadillacCalais is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Calais
    Also check your oil sending unit. That's where I was losing oil from. Replaced it and cleaned the area and haven't seen any more yet.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

15-40 atleast, I also use a 20-50... and a can of STP or a oil additive like that with zinc..They have been taking some of the zinc out of the diesel oils.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.