How's everyone doing on their projects?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, How's everyone doing on their projects? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Recently I just finished replacing all rear brake parts be abuse of constant loss in fluid. Tomorrow I will be ...
    1970CadillacCalais is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Calais

Recently I just finished replacing all rear brake parts be abuse of constant loss in fluid. Tomorrow I will be doing my first transmission fluid filter and fluids change on the vehicle. Has about 89,000 miles on it and not sure when it was last changed. I'm saving up to buy the front suspension kit from p-s-t.com; for $269 plus free shipping it comes with all bushings, upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and stabilizer bars. I figure I'll just by the adjusting sleeves from autozone for $12 a pair and later on replace the inner tie rod ends and pitman arm. The kit that would include those also will be $439 I believe is what he told me. I'm tired of buying used tires so it's time to get this done and find a shop that can do an alignment on an older vehicle.

Still have the manifold exhaust leak to fix but I'm not sure if I want to tackle that job with those rusted bolts or let a professional do that. Any input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

Re: How's everyone doing on their projects?

All I can say about the exhaust leak is to be careful as you can in removing
    the exhaust manifold bolts.
    I just did a complete rebuild on a 500 Eldo engine and even though the engine
    was out on a stand and all precautions on rusty bolts were taken....
    4 of them broke off! Not really a big deal for the machine shop, if you are intending to take the heads off
    for a valve job anyway. But, they can break regardless of how careful you are....
    In my case, it was obvious that the shanks of the bolts actually were rusting away and
    had never been off ....
    Let us know how you fare!

mike

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

At that mileage, your ball joints might be fine. My 79 Eldo had terrible handling
    at 30,000 miles. I replaced all the rubber bushings, but left the ball joint & other
    metal joints alone (till I hit 200,000 miles). I replace a lot of stuff, but try NOT
    to replace perfectly good parts. Bruce Roe

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

When removing manifold bolts: use an impact gun. They will spin right out.

I think I'll try greasing all the joints. No telling when the last time they were done. Should greatly improve how it's doing now.

cullen747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

I had to remove one of my manifolds to replace a freeze plug a couple months ago, they hadnt ever been taken out and were tough so what i did was i heated the bolts with a torch till they were red then let them cool off and i would spray penetration fluid on them in between, worked out great. And ive been looking for a front end kit for my car for awhile now and i read your post and went on p-s-t.com, great website, really helped me out

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I am presently tackling the brakes on my blue Coupe. I just completed making a new front crossover line for the right front brake caliper. I heated the end of the line at the flex hose and even with the bleeder open the flex line failed, so I had to replace that. After installation, and filling the system, the new sealed system caused the master to fail and I just replaced that a few years ago. So today I am going to replace the master.

I greased all the areas but didn't help much. Could hear the tires squealing at every light turn. My kit should be in by Thursday. $389 and comes with everything except upper ball joints, pitman arm and center drag link. I plan on knocking this out all on Friday. I have a lifetime warranty on my pads and front shocks so I will replace those again as well. Thinking of also painting my calipers and drums. Then change my differential fluid.
    Is your car braking much better?
    Also are you doing the whole front kit for suspension as well?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by cullen747 View Post
    I had to remove one of my manifolds to replace a freeze plug a couple months ago, they hadnt ever been taken out and were tough so what i did was i heated the bolts with a torch till they were red then let them cool off and i would spray penetration fluid on them in between, worked out great. And ive been looking for a front end kit for my car for awhile now and i read your post and went on p-s-t.com, great website, really helped me out
    That is the correct way to remove stubborn bolts. It's nice to learn that early in life. I didn't get that figured out until much later in life.

I may try this Friday. Where did you buy your new bolts from? I hope this works for me lol.

gornati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe DeVille

Well, i had several posts here, regarding my 78 CDV... but basically, after 4 years, car is running perfect, with no issues on the EFI system or emissions.
    You guys have no idea, how hard it is to make emissions and EFI work perfectly with no adaptations here in Brasil, no parts, no technical knowledge, it required a lot of FSM reading, together with a lot of help from this forum and the cadillac la salle club forum also, specifically DEVILLE33 and BCROE!

Anyway, car is running perfect now, but i still need to remove the flowmaster super44 and put back the catalytic converter and og muffler.

Even the ride height control is working fine now, i removed the "manual" controls the old owner had adapted redone the wiring, and the compressor is up and running again and the sensor had bad contacts.

Now when i have the cash, will redo the interior, and should be good to go.

Here is a pic.
    427847_10150641846706922_721281921_9892288_1328798471_n.jpg

Very nice. Is that a triple black, or is the interior the dove gray?

gornati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe DeVille

actually it was triple silver, but the previous owner painted black and put a new black canvas top, interior is still silver. as i will need to redo the interior, and changing car colors is a tedious proccess (legally) here in Brasil, i might leave it black and go for a RED or CARAMEL interior.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

In between erecting the 70' radio tower and rewiring & insulating the attic to R40, I
    did some maintenance on the 77. Grease, oil, filter, checked brakes, put on 4 new
    tires. Still need to align, replace the torque converter with one from the half dozen
    I just had rebuilt. The front marker lights were both burned out, decided to try LED
    replacements. Put in the right one, wouldn't fit back in the fixture. Got another type
    LED, not so tall. It didn't light, you have to turn around for polarity in that case. Put
    silicon grease everywhere to keep water out, assemble.

To do, the left marker, should be just as easy? Can't get to it, have to take out the
    fender brace, the battery, and the air cleaner inlet tube. Got the light out, tried the
    LED, doesn't light. OK, turn around, it STILL doesn't light. OHHHHH, the battery is
    out! Manage to clip the battery back, turn the LED around again, get light. Put it all
    back together, enough for one night. Bruce Roe

Replaced the master brake unit yesterday. Had my cousin with me to help bleed the brakes.Wouldn't you know it, the line to the front left caliper blew out. Well, now I'll have new lines throughout, and should be pretty much assured the brakes are secured now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.