1969 Coupe deVille 472 Electrical Issues!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1969 Coupe deVille 472 Electrical Issues! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all, I to this I bought this car about a year ago with the intention of restoring it. The ...
    turismo0515 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

1969 Coupe deVille 472 Electrical Issues!

Hello all, I to this I bought this car about a year ago with the intention of restoring it. The previous owner did several "modifications" with the electrical/vacuum components. I have the shop manual, and based on the electrical diagram, the wires going to and from the ignition coil appear to havebeen replaced. There are two wires (one orange, one dark green) that come through the firewall and are not connected to anything.

The car was running when I bought it, although there appeared to be a significant amount of oil on the new air filter. I replaced the intake manifold gasket, and had the manifold cleaned/bead blasted and painted. Also replaced the quadrajet carb with an Edelbrock 1406 w/electric choke. Now the car will not start. (it sat for about 6 months)

I replaced the wire going to the points, as it was frayed and corroded. Also replaced spark plugs and ignition coil. I checked, rechecked, and triple checked the timing (set just shy of TDC) and replaced the dead battery. Also checked the choke to make sure it is receiving power. When it turns over, fuel spits out of the carb. After a few tries, I'm sure I flooded the engine. The last attempt, with the throttle wide open, I got a few flames coming out for the first time.

I'm wondering if there is any insight anyone can provide. I'm heading out to the garage now to make sure the plugs are getting a adequate spark, (but if flames were coming out the of carb, wouldn't that indicate a spark??)

One last thing... there is a wire coming from just below the coil connected to what looks like a sensor of some kind? It is bolted straight into the head. I believe it was connected to the old ignition coil on the "+" side, but I'm not sure. connecting/Disconnecting seems to have no effect on starting issues.

Any guidance is much appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: 1969 Coupe deVille 472 Electrical Issues!

Your replacement carb was new, or used? It sounds like the float may be stuck at the low level position and allowing fuel to get past the needle. Get a new air horn gasket and carefully remove the horn from the body and check that the internals are working as they should. The AFB is a nice little carb, but not as sophisticated as your Rochester.

turismo0515 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

the replacement carb was new. the hot wire going to the ignition coil was very warm, borderline hot... I traced them back underneath the dash and found several wires cut and/or poorly soldered together where the turn signal harness connects. So I Replaced the entire harness. I haven't tried to start it yet. I will check over the carb. Thanks for your help! I'll post the results in the morning.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If it still doesn't start, check the plugs to see how wet they are. If wet, see if it is making any spark. It could have a dead coil too. I killed a coil once by forgetting my key on for about half an hour. I assumed the points must have been closed or arcing and overheated the coil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.