500 inch crank hub thread size?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 inch crank hub thread size? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the exact size of the threads (pitch and shank) on a ...
    Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

500 inch crank hub thread size?

Hi

Wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the exact size of the threads (pitch and shank)
    on a 76 Eldo 500 crank snout? Need to source the correct bolt size for installation of the
    hub on a fresh rebuild.

Looks like 9/16 fine, but can;t tell for sure; as I don't have that size readily available in
    my shop.

My "trick" harmonic balancer puller/installer" tool has 6 sizes for the adapters, but nothing fits this
    Caddy!

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 500 inch crank hub thread size?

9/16-18 is what it is.. Using a bolt is not the best way to press it on.. for two reasons, one you would need two different length bolts .. because the one that would finish putting it on would not be long enough to start it.. and you are using the crank threads to pull in on... The best thing to do is get some theaded rod with a some big to smaller washers and a nut to press it on.. Now when you put the stud in its long enough to press it on all in one operation and the nut works on the stud threads to press on the hub with no chance of damage to the crank threads..,

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

Thanks DRMENARD!

Would a little heat from some time spent in the oven assist in driving it on?
    I'll definitely NOT use the crank threads to pull it in, then

Now to source some 9/16-18 rod!

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

As you know these were pressed on at the factory... What some have done was hone the crank hub until it slides on and make a disc just a little smaller than the hub diameter with a step down to the crank diameter and the right length bolt to hold it on...Makes it eazy for on and off... Or you can be like me... Press it on and put the disc washer and bolt... If you check out MTS I think they sell a piece to hold on the crank.. I made mine...No need for heat...

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Decades ago I bought a tool for removing & replacing dampers, from JCW. Came with 9 adapters
    for different threads, turning was done on its larger thread outside. Great tool, not sure where to
    buy one today. Bruce Roe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.