1968 472 Disty completely frozen and now broken.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1968 472 Disty completely frozen and now broken. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is bad news folks. I discovered that the distributor on my 68 472 is completely frozen. Won't turn. Won't ...
    grassisgreener is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Sedan DeVille - Bone Stock - Kasmir Ivory

Exclamation 1968 472 Disty completely frozen and now broken.

This is bad news folks.

I discovered that the distributor on my 68 472 is completely frozen. Won't turn. Won't come out. Even after bathing in repeated douses of liquid wrench for 4 days.

It was heated with a heat gun. Nothing. Then tried an impact wrench. Which snapped the shaft at the base. It's still in there and what remains of the shaft is impossible to move from the top because after all that is shapeless blob of steel.

Plan B:

Does anyone know if the timing cover is removed, will I have access to the tip of the distributor? Maybe I can hammer it out from the bottom.

I have the shop manual on order but wanted feedback from yous.

Funny thing is the car is very clean with only 69K. See photos. Everything else in the engine has been easy out easy in. Except this...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 1968 472 Disty completely frozen and now broken.

The distrubtor goes straight down to the oil pump... The oil pump is just bolted in with 4 or 5 bolts... If you take off the pump the bottom of the shaft that goes in the pump is right there... With the pump off you could hit the end of the shaft with a punch and hammer and drive the distrubtor up and out.. But must be very careful not to hit the block .. and what ever you do don't hit where the oil pump bolts to... If you want to keep a points distrubtor , and not go to a HEI, I think I have one you can have for the ride... I'll check back here .. Let us know how it goes...

drmenard

The distrubtor goes straight down to the oil pump... The oil pump is just bolted in with 4 or 5 bolts... If you take off the pump the bottom of the shaft that goes in the pump is right there... With the pump off you could hit the end of the shaft with a punch and hammer and drive the distrubtor up and out.. But must be very careful not to hit the block .. and what ever you do don't hit where the oil pump bolts to... If you want to keep a points distrubtor , and not go to a HEI, I think I have one you can have for the ride... I'll check back here .. Let us know how it goes...
    THANKS Dr. Menard! I owe you big time!!!

After a week and a half that damned disty is out.

Exactly as you said. Three easy 3 steps and the oil pump is out. Got a rod small enough to get in there safely. Seven hits and it was out.

I'll post a pic of that thing tomorrow.

New disty and cap ready to go. Ordering a new oil pump tonight.

About your new oil pump...If you have already ordered it what you should do before you put it in.... There have been some guys that put in new pumps and the pressure relief valve got stuck open... So what the guys do now when they put in a new pump is take the set screw out and that out the spring and piston.. polish the bore in the pump and polish the piston... you really take off a real small amount but its enough to keep them from getting stuck... There are alot of guys who love the old aluminum body pumps and just buy a rebuilding kit...

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I have not run into any problems with the aluminum or cast iron pump. Maybe they don't like sitting on a shelf. I wouldn't install an oil pump without packing with some white lithium grease and then spinning it with the dist out.

No reason the OP can't just re-install his original pump.

New oil pump fail. Gasket was no good. Dumped about 1/4 quart before I noticed a giant puddle. Hard to find just the gasket. So I talked Auto Zone into getting another pump and giving me the gasket.

I have one last question for the forum which I'll post tomorrow. I've been scowering my new shop manual but so far cannot find what I'm looking for.

If any fellow 68 owners need a part of the shop manual scanned I'd be happy to help.

*Also I am of course keeping the original pump. If need be it can be rebuilt and re-installed.

Anyway, here is what's left of that &%$#@ disty..

If you can't get just an oil pump gasket send me an email @ w2vw333333@comcast.net . (Lose the anti spamming number 3333333s) I had to buy 20 gaskets about 20 years ago and still have about 19. You are welcome to one gratis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    If you can't get just an oil pump gasket send me an email @ w2vw333333@comcast.net . (Lose the anti spamming number 3333333s) I had to buy 20 gaskets about 20 years ago and still have about 19. You are welcome to one gratis.
    Thank you Ape Man.

The second gasket A-Zone gave me was also garbage. It is as thin as a post card, stretched in places and scalloped/torn in others.

So I enacted plans B and C (before reading your generous offer). Plan B was to order the rebuild kit which comes with the gasket (hopefully a good one). Unfortunately it was $36 when I only need a $2 gasket.

Plan C (which I thought of on my way home from A-Zone) was buying Mr. Gasket paper and giving it to a friend who has the tools to make gaskets. If this works I'll just return the rebuild kit.

Will update next week.

I've made these gaskets before and do not recommend it except for emergencys.

They are supposed to be very thin.

Do not use any sealer on these : )

The gasket is very thin... It is about .005 to .006 thick...Many years ago I got a too thick gasket in a cheap gasket kit.. Make sure its not too thick.. If Apeman can't find where he put them , I have a few...

%&$#! In hindsight I should of just left the pump alone.

Yesterday morning I put the home made gasket in (which was 1/8" thick) with some sealant....

Complete oil pressure drop. I may have also interfered with the 'L' shaped channel shown in the picture with sealant (pic is of the original oil pump for reference).

Next step is to remove any sealant and try again with the right gauge Mr gasket paper.

If this doesn't work I will try the gasket supplied with the rebuilt kit expected later this week (provided is the right thickness).

If this doesn't work I must take you up on you offer.

So close to being back on the road..

Dr. Menard,

What part of MA are you in?

I can't send you a message... If you send me a message with you name and address I will send you a gasket... I am in Springfield...

Dr. Menard I cannot PM you.

Please email me at rssell@hotmail.coMM. (fix the .com). My real name is Russell.

Will Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 Sedan Deville

I am new to this forum and have a frozen dizzy in my 68 model 472 also. Is gaining access to the oil pump done by dropping the oil pan? Where are replacement dizzies sold? I have spent enough money on WD 40, PB Blaster and other lubricants trying to free the dizzy to buy a new one. Any advise on preventing the new dizzy from seizing up too? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.