water pump gph
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, water pump gph in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have been trying to find out the gph of the stock water pump on a 1975 500 cu. in. ...
    miniman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 500 cu in engine in hot rod

water pump gph

I have been trying to find out the gph of the stock water pump on a 1975 500 cu. in. caddy engine. Is there anyone out there who might be able to answer this. Trying to add an electric pump to the system in my hot rod to help the cooling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: water pump gph

Quote Originally Posted by miniman1 View Post
    I have been trying to find out the gph of the stock water pump on a 1975 500 cu. in. caddy engine. Is there anyone out there who might be able to answer this. Trying to add an electric pump to the system in my hot rod to help the cooling.
    Electric pumps are poor competition to belt driven, I would concentrate on a clean cooling system,
    a REALLY GOOD 4 row radiator, perhaps a "wetter" additive, and maybe some electric fans to help
    when stopped at idle. You have the 7 blade clutched factory fan with shroud, and an overflow tank?

Bruce Roe

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I'm with Bruce. The 500 is relatively easy to cool if all the pieces are sized properly. More flow may not make any difference.

Been there.

You can take advantage of the extra cooling system loop used for heat. Rear of passenger side cylinder head fitting returning to radiator below fill cap.

If room for radiator size is a problem an aux cooler could put you over the top.

Also make sure the spark advance and ignition timing are not causing extra heat by being retarded.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

5906.jpgLet me add this... Get a flow cooler waterpump, it makes all the differance...It has a closed impeller, looks like this.Years back napa sold one that looked like this too...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.