i wana put manual behind my 425
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, i wana put manual behind my 425 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i stuffed 79 425 into a 86 c15 and now im starting to think about how much more fun it ...
    fuknuz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i wana put manual behind my 425

i stuffed 79 425 into a 86 c15 and now im starting to think about how much more fun it would b to b a manual. thing is, idk what trans to be looking of or what to do bout a flywheel. ik ppl have done it, could anyone help out with finding the info?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: i wana put manual behind my 425

You need a BOP bellhousing. You will probably have to make up your own linkage. I believe the linkage from a Pontiac leMans might get You close. You can use a Muncie, a Sginaw or a Doug Nash 5 speed. The choice is Yours. You could probably get aflywheel from any of the after market manufacturers, Schneider, Zoom or other, If any are still in business. You might turn one up at an end of the Season swap-meet in your area.

thanks. theres no swap meats within 50 mi of where i live lol and i also have a thread ovef at hot rodders and they are talking about a bearing retainer issue. im new to the gm manual scene.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

The easiest bell housing to find will probably be from an early Jeep CJ5. The early CJ5 has a Buick V6 as a common option. It was called the Dauntless V6 by Jeep. This jeep was also available with a Borg Warner T18 4 speed. One of the other advantages with using this bell housing is there is a lot of after market support for adapting many different transmissions to it. Check out Novak.

http://www.novak-adapt.com

They may also be able to tell you what will work as i am sure someone has put one of these engines into a jeep J series pickup.

ok checked out novak, good link but cuoldnt find anything on the bbcad's might call tech later tho. thanks for the info on the jeeps tho. its looking like this is gunna be a good option for me. i found a local shop that might have a muncie laying around. gota look into it yet.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Because your set-up isn't original, and is a conversion, the linkage will not be stock. You will need the fixture for the cross tube to the frame, the hemispherical ball and linkage to tie it all together. I believe you can get close using the linkage from a 70's pontiac leMans, as they used the BOP housing you need. Another option you may use would be the linkage for the chevrolet truck, but it would not be a direct bolt in. Chevy and GMC had different linkages for different truck models.

aeronca36606 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1985 Coupe Deville 4.1 & 1970 Eldorado 8.2

There are several companies making a hydraulic clutch conversion for the Jeep. Possibly could use here.

The Cadillac 425 has the same bell-housing bolt pattern as the Buick/Jeep V6. The only part i am not sure of is whether the starter is on the same side.

my starter is on the pass side as u probly already know. im gunna b looking around to see whats avalible localy. i will keep this updated with what i find and let me know what u think

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.