500 cu motor, what to do with it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 cu motor, what to do with it? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hi, i am tasked with finding homes for a lot of things in my father's estate. Among these is what ...
    Cardboard Jedi Guest

500 cu motor, what to do with it?

hi, i am tasked with finding homes for a lot of things in my father's estate. Among these is what i believe to be a Cadillac 500 cubic inch motor, down here in Florida used in airboats among other things. i am not a mechanic. i know from memory very little about it other than my Dad was maybe going to wedge it in a hot rod years ago. it is old, dirty, and in need of the care only a gearhead can give. my plan as of now is to craigslist it. anybody know what i should price it at? ..or should i be thankful anyone would even come get it for free and haul it away? thanks all....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 500 cu motor, what to do with it?

To really know what you have and get what it is worth you have to remove one rockerarm cover to get the casting number off the head and take off the oil pan to get the casting number off the crankshaft...then you will know if its a early or late , 472 or 500.... thats the only way to tell...

Cardboard Jedi Guest

thanks for that advice. i'll poke around

DixieChevrillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1/2 Caddy

What part of Florida?

If you look at the rear of the block just at the end of the valley behimd the manifold, there should be casting numbers that'll give you a better idea about the motor if you do some searching online. If the motor has been worked on, then pulling a valve cover and/or pan would be needed to see what the motor is as a whole. I saw one on CL awhile back for 875 obo with the car, but the motor had a knock. What kinda condition is it in? If you don't want the paperweight, I can give it a good home

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

I also collected a lifetime supply of 403s, 455s, and 500s (when they were cheap).
    Now I'm wondering who to will the leftovers to. Bruce Roe

YourMainParadox is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1974 Cadillac Hearse 472

haha will it all to me :P I will put it to use XD

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I too have such a collection. Nobody in my social circle, other than this group and a few others, has any interestin these items. If I keeled over tommorrow, everything would most likely get scrapped.

Cardboard Jedi Guest

Hi everyone, sorry so long. I drug that motor out and found two sets of numbers: above the bell housing is stamped 1495200. on the cylinder heads is stamped 1497902. does this tell us anything useful?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

^I love your user name

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard Jedi View Post
    Hi everyone, sorry so long. I drug that motor out and found two sets of numbers: above the bell housing is stamped 1495200. on the cylinder heads is stamped 1497902. does this tell us anything useful?
    I don't have my number sheets handy, but that sounds like a 70s 500 motor - probably a 73 or 74. You could CL it for $200 for a quick sale or post it here.

oyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 sdv

Bruce you have 403 olds? don't mean to hi-jack thread. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.