What would you do? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, What would you do? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; You can't bore a 425 to 500. you're lucky to get it even 60 over. The 425 block is also ...
    Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You can't bore a 425 to 500. you're lucky to get it even 60 over. The 425 block is also lighter weight than the 472/500 blocks. They supposedly removed the weight from "unimportant places". As for all this talk about the 425 crank, I had a discussion with Al at MTS about that when I first took on this project and he was saying that those cranks are not as weak as some believe. He said his expierience was from racing them and most of the talk about the weakness of the crank was coming from bench racers. Me, being new to the world of Caddy motors, took his word for it. Hard to argue with a guy that has one of the few speed parts places for Caddy motors in the whole world. But, as for nitrous, I stayed away from it in a 425 also.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    Sure the 425 crank won't just crack, but it can't be stressed too much. Seems to me nitrous would be a bad idea. Anyway even if I could bore out my 425, I need a running car to get around in. I may have found a good local 500, I need to check on that one..

You're preaching to the choir on the nitrous, that's why I didn't go that way on my 425. A small amount probably wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't use a 150 H.P. nitrous kit on it. I wonder if those cranks could be sent out to be nitrided. Or is it toughtrided. One of them is outlawed, but I forget which one. I'm sure Katshot knows.

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville
    Angela,
    1st i have to say that i admire you I don't know ANY women that "build engines" and "Teach Boxing" > My hat is off to you!

Have you tried the Spark plug with the 4 electrodes on it to see if you had enough clearance in your cylinder head? I saw one at Auto Zone the other day, it may have been made by Bosch, im not sure but it was a strange looking spark plug. The thicker head gaskets and different plugs would probably work > check out one of those spark plugs and let me know what you think.

Sorry I haven't let you guys know whats going on with this fiasco. I sent my pistons back to Ross to be re-machined to MY specs. I called Federal Mogul, the parent company of Champion and they gave me a plug which is slightly less protruding in the combustion chamber, but after the pistons are machined, the stock plugs will fit just fine...By the way, the person at Ross that talks turkey with you about piston dimensions and the general mechanics of a piston is also a woman. Her name is Jane... And being a onetime professional boxer I've met a lot of women boxers

oyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 sdv

Re: What would you do?

Angela
    I have followed mostly all of the posting on this and other boards but you seem to be more involved in the cad 425 than most, I to am intrested in the 425 cad for a number of reasons #1 being weight.So i've been waiting and watching for your posting of the progress of your project,I hope I'am not being to forward.believe I'am not trying too.

oyoung

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Dude.... nearly 2 and a half years ago this was posted! I remember it ....

Angela hasn't been around for a loooong time.... haven't heard anything about her since..... she is the only person that I know of that was doing a real high performance build on the 425, she also used to live like 20mins from me back in NY.... wonder where she is now...

BTW.... weight isn't a reason to pick a 425 over a 472/500... the weight difference is IIRC around 25lbs... nearly nothing. Throw the Edelbrock intake on a 500 and you are already under the weight of a stock 425.

Angela went with the 425 for the simple reason that it was free and she had it around. I was interested to hear the results on that engine also.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

It seems like an awesome engine she had going. Way before my time though.

oyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 sdv

Night Wolf I guess I should notice the date on some of these posting,anyway the 1977cad S/M states that the 1977 425cu.engine is 100lbs lighter than the previous engine which was the 500cu.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Alright, so after an eddy, will 75 lbs lighter really be all that much of a difference?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I have a couple years of reading on me now... If there's a great reason you need ~100 pounds, and you are not shooting for a whole lot of power, a 425 might not be a bad choice. Plus you can pick them up for damn near free since most everyone goes for 500/472s. Anyway what're your goals with the vehicle and engine?

100lbs?

I remember it was just a lighter block and crankshaft... on CB7 I remember reading 25lbs or so.. I could be wrong.

Even if it was 100lbs... the 500 has more power out of the box, and go-fast parts will do more, that should negate the extra weight....

but if weight really is a concern, then the 425 is a fine engine... its a fine engine in either case, just outshined by the 472/500.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.