Best place to find a rebuild kit?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Best place to find a rebuild kit? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I will be rebuilding my 77 Deville's 425 shortly and was wondering what the best kit I can get is ...
    penguinonbud is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Best place to find a rebuild kit?

I will be rebuilding my 77 Deville's 425 shortly and was wondering what the best kit I can get is and where to get it from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Best place to find a rebuild kit?

I used to get the gasket sets from the machineshop that did the block and heads. If you're not talking about gaskets, I'm not sure. Never bought an "engine rebuild KIT" per say.

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    kinda OT but whats all involved in rebuilding an engine? Iam thinking about getting this 79 coupe deville and building up a 500 with a few mods but i've never rebuilt(or taken apart for that matter) an engine.

Some kits differ from eachother, but you baiscally get a complete gasket set, new pistons and rings, cam, lifter, timing set, and oil pump. You may get a dew mor pieces, but I can't think of them right now.

Head over to 500cid.com and look at their kits. They have complete and partial kits and a list of what's included. I don't know about prices though, so you'll have to call or email them.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    There are many different places to get re-build kits.
    If I was going to buy a re-build kit for a big block Cadillac, I'd call Al from Maximum Torque Specialties.
    I've talked to him on two different occasions. Once to order something and once to ask a few questions. He answered the questions that I had and the service for the ordered parts was very good.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    I wish Al/MTS/500cid.com would get a price list up, at least for major items. Oh well, it's not like I can afford anything anyway .

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Building an engine is like everything else. Ther's the RIGHT way, and the WRONG way. In this case, the WRONG way is the CHEAP way.
    When building an engine rely on a reputable machine shop and listen to what they tell you. Don't skimp or you'll regret it.
    Boil the block and heads, have them tested and remachined. Have the machine shop supply you with the proper size/type bearings and seals. Buy all new hardware. Use top grade accessories. And build it TOTALLY by the book. Torque everything, lube everything, break it in properly and you'll end up with a great engine.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Here's the prices on the engine kits.
    http://www.500cid.com/mts/cat/43.htm
    I agree though. His site needs some serious work.
    I have the MTS catalog if you need the price on a particular part.

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

If Al (of MTS) would spend just a little bit of money updating the site he could reach more folks.I know of a few folks who rather deal through the internet than through a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad'lac
    If Al (of MTS) would spend just a little bit of money updating the site he could reach more folks.I know of a few folks who rather deal through the internet than through a phone.
    Little bit more money? Hell, I'd do it for free! I've been on and off MTS a lot lately doing research on my 425 and 500 engines, and it is a friggin pain to navigate the site.

That red text on black also gets hard to read after a while...

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Yeah that red&black format doesn't go well with me. I just go onto the forum.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    I just got a catalog from MTS, and its got all the parts info in it. If you need any info, let me know and I will try to help. I will be putting my order in soon to build my 425 for the El Camino. Al is very helpful, and could stand to update his site with more info and prices.

Vern is offline Banned

Talking

Hey call Al maybe he will let you update his site in exchange for the parts you need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.