368 Help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 368 Help? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello Everyone I am restoring a 1961 Cadillac hearse and turning it into an Ecto-1. I have a Cadillac 368 ...
    Monty Prescott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

368 Help?

Hello Everyone

I am restoring a 1961 Cadillac hearse and turning it into an Ecto-1.
    I have a Cadillac 368 that I pulled from a 1981 Cadillac hearse that I'm planing to put into the car.
    I'm not looking to put any Performance into the motor I'm just looking to dress it up and make it look good for car shows ect. I would like to put an Edelbrock Intake and valve covers and other fancy chrome parts ect on the motor.
    What parts are interchangeable between 500, 472, 425 for the 368
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 368 Help?

The 368 is really not that good of a choice...140 or 150 HP... not great on gas mileage.... If I was doing it , I would go with a 350 ... I love the lt1 like in my 94 and 95FWB's... If you did not want to mess with all the wires there are carb manifolds for it... This motor will give you twice as much power and better gas mileage than the 368... The 368 is only one and a half notches above the slug olds 307...one can't get out of its own way and the other can't get in its own way...that 368 is nowhere as good as the 390 that came in the 61.....

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I'm afraid drmenard is right. There are not a lot of options for the 368 for performance or dress-up.The best you could do is paint it pretty and keep the hood closed, if possible. There were aftermarket and factory options for the 390, as it was concidered a performance engine..

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

1981 also had the 8-6-4- engine.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I went on a long trip about 3 years ago with my cdv with a 368, 64,000 miles on the engine, the only time it bogged down was going up a long grade, the top end torque is poor, but it made it, 99 % of the time I am quite happy with it, it all depends what type of driving you will be doing, around town and on the hi-way it's fine for me.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Contrary to what others have said, the 368 is a worthy engine and directly related to the 472/500/425 engine family. It has but one fault in that in its factory state of tune it is rather "soft" and not very responsive. My question is why you'd want to replace the '61's 390 with it. No matter, the 368 CAN come alive and if you're pushing that kind of weight, you will need some help. Architecturally, it is not that much different from the others in the engine family. 1981 versions have the Eaton Corporation's Variable Displacement system and this can be a problem. From 1982 thru 1984 the 368 was used exclusively on the Limousine and Commercial Chassis vehicles, being discontinued with those cars at the end of the 1984 model year.

There's a website, 500cid.com that sells performance parts. You will need to wake the 368 up if you intend to use it in that vehicle. You will also need a THM 400 or 700R-4 transmission as the old 4 speed hydramatic in the 61 won't work with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.