cheap power improvements to the 425... - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Like Tree1Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, cheap power improvements to the 425... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I got a line on hopefully some 68 parts. How can I confirm that the intake and exhaust manifolds are ...
    BigPoppaD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: cheap power improvements to the 425...

I got a line on hopefully some 68 parts. How can I confirm that the intake and exhaust manifolds are truly the correct parts?

djcwardog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville White, red int

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaD View Post
    I got a line on hopefully some 68 parts. How can I confirm that the intake and exhaust manifolds are truly the correct parts?
    I had this data in my spec lists - no guarantee that I have it right, but this manifold works on my car:

1605061 is a 472/500 stock cast iron with EGR – replaced 160955 stock 425 “negative rise” piece.

I also had this from a web poster:

‘68-mid’70 engines used the first generation heat operated choke, with an exhaust passage around the front of the carb. These intakes have a cast rectangular box-shaped choke well. Mid’70-’73 engines do not have the heat passage around the carb, and have a round choke well with what looks like a freeze plug in the bottom of it. (This describes mine) Many ‘68-’70 engines also had no EGR valve. All OEM 472/500 intakes are dual plane.

I surmise that I have a mid '70-'73 intake...

I don't have the parts numbers for the exhaust manifiolds. You want those that have a nice thick front runner (by this I mean the exhaust tube for #1 and #2 cylinder). The ones to avoid are the stock 425 pieces which have huge dimples cast right in on both the left and the right front runner.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Wow! This post has a lot of history and a lot of info. There was someone selling crossmembers he manufactured for A bodies. The sugestion made here for the later C body looks good. Still available from GM?
    ONe thing I thought of, You can change your cam's performance by adjusting cam timing by a couple degrees. You don't neccessarily have to give your money to a cam company for a mild timing change.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Hey djcwardog, do you have any timeslips yet? Please let us know how the mods worked out.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

The after market cam guys like Comp Cams advise advancing the cam timing by like 4 degrees for low-end power, and retarding the timing by about 4 degrees for higher RPM power. There is no magic power boost in fooling with cam timing in general. Most folks install new cams "straight up", meaning the timing marks on the cam drive sprockets are lined up like an overhaul manual specifies, as opposed to setting it up with a degree wheel etc, for getting all available power.

BRICKS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville

im gonna try out a few of these and see what happens from there.

sleutelgek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hello i buy a 2115 edelbrock intake for my 79" 425 cid coupe.
    What gasket sal i take the edelbrock?
    Or can i take a splasch pan a 425 or a 472?
    I like splasch pan the intake are not too hot to.

thanks for your recomendations.

greeting Danny from holland (europe)

BRICKS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville

anyone have a price range for the intake? had someone tell me 200+ shipping on a 500 intake and 50+ shipping on the ac compressor bracket. a little much with shipping. picked up a caprice sway bar to switch over. just need a couple more goodies.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by steelybill View Post
    The after market cam guys like Comp Cams advise advancing the cam timing by like 4 degrees for low-end power, and retarding the timing by about 4 degrees for higher RPM power. There is no magic power boost in fooling with cam timing in general. Most folks install new cams "straight up", meaning the timing marks on the cam drive sprockets are lined up like an overhaul manual specifies, as opposed to setting it up with a degree wheel etc, for getting all available power.
    Your correct here. My statement, "changing performance", was wrong. Advancing or retarding the cam's degree of timing is a torque curve adjustment.
    In the 1980s or sooner GM started changing the torque curve of the cams to enhance mileage, which made performance off the line anemic. Degreeing a cam is not magical, but you have to understand valve train dynamics and other aspects of your engine/drive train to maximize your performance / economy.

gornati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe DeVille

anything for the 425 fuel injected?
    i have a 1978 EFI, but all i done if to put new plugs, change oil, fix the ECU, new air filter, new oil filter, new stainless steel headers and 2.5" exhaust with a flowmaster super 40 series...

anything else you guys would recommend?

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Quote Originally Posted by gornati View Post
    anything for the 425 fuel injected?
    i have a 1978 EFI, but all i done if to put new plugs, change oil, fix the ECU, new air filter, new oil filter, new stainless steel headers and 2.5" exhaust with a flowmaster super 40 series...

anything else you guys would recommend?
    The EFI on 75 - 79 cars was primitive by todays standards. However, waking up a 425 EFI motor cant be too hard. People here have mentioned degree-ing in the cams and I think that would do a lot. One thing I've noticed about Cadillac camshaft profiles is that they are hyper mild.

Oh, one other thing. The EFI on the regular car line was different from the EFI on the Seville.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.