timing 500 cu.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, timing 500 cu. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; good morning to all. new to this forum. trying to restore old hot rod found in field in miss. it ...
    bill henry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1962 sedan deville

timing 500 cu.

good morning to all. new to this forum. trying to restore old hot rod found in field in miss. it is a 50 ford 2 door sedan. now to the question, if the #1 cylinder is at top dead center where do the timing mark go. are they at 12 on the crank and 12 on the cam.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: timing 500 cu.

If you are saying that you have a cadillac 500 motor and when the #1 piston on passangers side is at top dead center and your timing mark is off... well if it motor runs and don't sound like it jumped timing, then it is someone mixed up the timing marker... they made 2 or 3 different ones and they were all different and you can't mix them up.. thats why we always say to keep the tap with the pulley.. If thats not your problem ...never mind... Dave

I do have a caddy 500. motor is not run. Iam trying to get it running. If #1 is at top dead center, " on pass. side" are the timing marks at 12 on crank and 12 on the cam or like chev. 12 on the crank and 6 on the cam.

yes they are... the marks are the same ....what timing set are you using? There are some that should not be used if you want it to last...what cam have you got in there?

Dave,the cam is stock or factory. The gear set is a s.a.gear set. Box said made in usa- bedford park, Il. I bought a haynes repair manual-1970 thru 1993. the book said the timing marks go at 12 and 12 but no luck starting the engine. turns over find but do not sound like it is firing. All help would be greatly appreciated.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have never heard of 12 and 12, seems like a pain in the butt to me. I dug out one of my old Chiltons manuals and see the outside of the pages are getting moldy; what a bummer. My old Chiltons says "align punch marks between shaft centers, see illustration". The illustration is the common cam at 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock alignment. I think that is your problem.

thanks al, i will try the 6-12 method to see how it works. will let you know if i get the motor running.

Hi Bill... I would not use any timing set that was not one of the roller chain and sprocket type.. They are about $100... None of the $30-$40 cheap sets will last without problems.. I had a set after 10K be looser than a stock chain with a 150K... If you use a cloyes good set it crank sprocket has 3 keyways... one for -4 degrees and one for zero degrees and one for +4 degrees... If you are running a stock cam it will run a lot better if you use the +4 keyway... summit has them for $73 they are #9-1139... instructions are on the box , you won't be sorry you did..

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

With the cam/crank sprockets lined up at the 6/12 setting, the #1 cylinder is not at TDC firing position. You have to turn the crank 1 full turn to get #1 on firing position- TDC. It's not like a Chevy

With it at TDC for #1, the distributor can be installed and tweaked into position.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I don't know if I should jump into this, but here goes.
    With the crank shaft sprocket at 12 o'clock - number 1 piston ( 1st cylinder on right hand - passenger side - bank ) should be at TDC. When you install the cam at 6 o'clock or 12 o'clock, it will be either at the top of the compression stroke or the top of the exhaust stroke. This has been illustrated both ways in different manuals and makes assembly confusing to novices. Either way will be okay, as the cam timing to crank timing is 2:1. Two turns of the crank to one turn of the cam. If you want to get out your dial indicators and piston stops you can degree you cam.
    When timing your cam to the distributor, you have to bring the # 1 piston to TDC and ensure the cam is at the position where both valves would be closed. This is TDC on compression stroke and your distributor should be located so that it is indexed to the # 1 distributor wire with enough free motion for any adjustment neccessary.
    I hope this helps your understanding of crank - cam - distributor timing.

thanks to all for replys. hope to be in shop sunday to try to get the 500 running. all info will be of great help.

worked on the 500 todaywithout much luck. put new timing chain and gears on. motor still turns over slow. looking from front of motor to fire wall, pass. side, # 1 valve and # 3 valve did not move when motor was turning over. used a piece of chain bolted to head and screw driver and move valve down, was no stuck. push rod moved up and down. do not know what the problem is.

It sounds like your lifters aren't getting oil, so they won't work hydralically. The lifters may have worn through the face, where the lifter rides on the cam lobe or the oil isn't getting through the oil galley to the lifter.
    Remove the lifters from their bores. Be careful, If the face has mushroomed you won't be able to pull it out the top of the bore. You will have to remove the cam and remove the wear edge off the bottom of the lifter to remove it, so you don't damage the lifter bore.
    It could also be that your cam lobes have worn.

Thanks 33, will check lifters out to see if thats the problem. still can not get motor to turn over at nomal rate. installed new timing chain and gears, reset the distributor, still turns slow.

Check your grounds on the battery and frame. There is most likely a ground at the starter mount bolts. My 425's have a ground strap at this place, goes form the bolt to the frame. One of my cars had extra ground straps to the engine block. I believe these grounds are neccessary due to all the options on these cars.
    It could be that your starter is tired. These engines have a tendency to wear out the bushing in the rear starter housing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.