timing 500 cu. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, timing 500 cu. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I will check the grounds . starter is new, someone told me to check to see if starter needed shimes. ...
    bill henry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1962 sedan deville

Re: timing 500 cu.

I will check the grounds . starter is new, someone told me to check to see if starter needed shimes. thanks for the info 33. working on these old cars, so much can be wrong but finding a starting point sure helps eliminate one problem at a time

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

You have to find out why the valves are not moving.. This is your problem.. If I had to bet I guess that the cam lobe is worn down... The next thing to do is pull off the intake and see just whats going on in there... If your cam lobes are worn bad this can put metal chips all through the motor.... It could need a rebuild ...

Thanks dave, hope to be able to work on the 500 this weekend. Ordered the cloyes timing chain. got to pick it up today. ordered it from napa auto parts.

hey deville 33, never did get my 500 running. bought a 73 eldo one owner with a 500 in it. it runs great. show 80,000 on car. going to pull the motor out and put it in the little ford.

Big Pip is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '72 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    Hi Bill... I would not use any timing set that was not one of the roller chain and sprocket type.. They are about $100... None of the $30-$40 cheap sets will last without problems.. I had a set after 10K be looser than a stock chain with a 150K... If you use a cloyes good set it crank sprocket has 3 keyways... one for -4 degrees and one for zero degrees and one for +4 degrees... If you are running a stock cam it will run a lot better if you use the +4 keyway... summit has them for $73 they are #9-1139... instructions are on the box , you won't be sorry you did..
    Does that go for the 472 also?

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

The 500 and the 472 are the same as those parts go.. The only parts that are different are the crankshaft and pistons...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.