70s EFI Intake Manifold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 70s EFI Intake Manifold in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm trying to obtain an EFI manifold for my 500, and saw that in '75 and '76 some 500s came ...
    emailer33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

70s EFI Intake Manifold

I'm trying to obtain an EFI manifold for my 500, and saw that in '75 and '76 some 500s came with an EFI manifold. Is this the same manifold I see on the 425's all the time? I'm curious if they're swappable or if I should keep looking for a specific 500 one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

70s EFI Intake Manifold

Yes the 425 use the same EFI intake and throttle body as a 500. So grab any one you can salvage, they are valuable. The injectors are about 49 lb/hr (blue) on the 500, 39 lb/hr (green) on the 425. The original EFI design was limited to a 50% duty cycle on the injectors, by the alternate bank injecting. So if your setup allows an 85% duty cycle (such as sequential port), the smaller 425 injectors are more than big enough for a 500. Be aware these are low impedance (peak & hold) injectors, not compatible with every EFI. I converted my Cad to sequential port injection, seen on PHOTOBUCKET. Lots of people have used this intake to upgrade 500s, esp the GMC motorhome people. Bruce Roe

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Re: 70s EFI Intake Manifold

Bruce Roe is right. Also keep in mind that the EFI on Sevilles was different from the EFI on the other cars.

emailer33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thank you. I was considering grabbing a manifold and throttle body, and using more modern parts with everything else with a Megasquirt. So out of curiosity, what is different about a Seville?

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

The seville has a Olds motor... If you are going to use The 425 intake and throttlebody you will need a 1981 368 EFI distrubtor.. this is the motor with the high odd shaped rockerarm covers .. this will work with modern computers for the control of timing... I have a 472 with a F/I intake with a 368 distrubtor run by a Haltech... I have done it , be glad to help if you have any questions...

dpayton79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): !966 coupe deville

I have a 66 coupe deville that I'm putting a 500 in. Found the complete fuel injection from a 1977 eldorado barritz with a 425 in it. I took everything except the dizzy now I realize i need that as mine is a little different upon further review. My question is Im not gonna us the stock computer but should I still get that distributor and will it work with my 500 and a after market system like megasquirt or as you suggested haltech

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

If you are not going to use the stock ECM you don't want that distributor.. If you are going to use a aftermarket computer that will control the spark you will need a distributor out of a 1981 4-6-8 368cid motor .. also called a 6.0L... These motors have the big odd looking rocker arm covers...This is a bolt in part and will not need any converting...

If you wanted to use the 425 EFI on a 500, you need the HEI, bigger (blue) 49 lb/hour
    injectors, and a 76 ECU for a 500 car. If you started with that you would have a running
    system, which could then be upgraded to something more modern.

The original 76 EFI used 2 batch injector cycles which couldn't overlap. This required
    the bigger injector for the 500. However if you use a newer sequential injection, the
    duty cycle may be increased to 85%, and your 1977 (green) 39 lb/hr injectors will be
    all you need. Bruce Roe

dpayton79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): !966 coupe deville

So did it use the bigger injector to spray more fuel so it could sit there until the valve opened in the batch fire setup.Is this why the batch fire required bigger injectors? Am I understanding that basically the greens are to small and if used with the the 500 it would be fuel starved unless I cranked up the duty cycle on an after market sequential fire computer. Whats the difference between the 425 ecu and the 500 ecu? Thanks for all you help and p.s. I got the 77 dizzy before I saw this post and walked right by a 4-6-8 motor and was wondering what was up with the strange valve covers and the wires coming in them(had never seen one in person before) now I gotta run back out to the boneyard and buy it.

The 425 and 500 ECUs are pretty similar, same pin out. But they are calibrated differently
    to match the displacement and injector size. A 39 lb/hr injector needs to exceed 50% duty
    cycle at maximum rpm, to fuel a 500. Bruce Roe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.