How many horsepower does 472 engine has by current ratings? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, How many horsepower does 472 engine has by current ratings? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; the q jet im running is off one of those late model trucks. 85 or newer... jsyk...
    fuknuz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: How many horsepower does 472 engine has by current ratings?

the q jet im running is off one of those late model trucks. 85 or newer... jsyk

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Still, I'd seriously think about replacing it with something more modern. A nice Barry Grant or Holley Street performer would, in my opinion, do wonders.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Holy crap, 3 pages on a hp question? I had to see what was going on. I need my hip waders because the crap is getting deep. There is no more modern carb than the Quadrajet. Carb technology basically ended in the 80's with FI. No Edelbrock or Holly carb is going to outperform the Quadrajet on the street. The Quadrajet primary circuit is more advanced and tuneable than any other carb. Doesn't Barry Grant just do Hollys? Those would be good carbs on a High performance engine but will offer no benefit on a stock Caddy engine.

Doug, do you have a 390 carb on your hearse? If so, you are missing out on a LOT of power. I could fill the trunk of any of my cars with cast iron and still smoke any car with a 390 carb. I would prefer to bet a huge amount of money on it too. I don't know where you read your info but it is severely off base. There is no more efficient carb available to the public than a Rochester Quadrajet. I'm not just blindly brand loyal I just know what works and what doesn't.

Any time I see any stock looking engine with a Holly carb on it I offer to race it with my slowest stock vehicle and I never get any bites. They may look a little better on the engine but that is all you are buying. You just can't believe everything you read on the internet that's for sure.

fuknuz, you should look for some 70's carb. There are a lot of guys rebuilding Quads on Ebay for just about any year car for pretty reasonable prices. I bought an awesome rebuilt Quadrajet for my 70 Impala for $25 and it's one of the best ones I ever had. There are good deals out there sometimes.
    Fleetwood70 and Fleetwood70 like this.

fuknuz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

well thanks for the info and ill look around for a earier one. i have 9 or 10 diff q jets torn apart in the basement and built one working one out of them. is it just the older carb all together thats better or just cirtan parts? iv done alot of my own reserch on what pars to use but everyone only lists the best parts and not whats better than others. u got any advice on that?

The 80's carbs had some electronics on them that you don't need. That's why the 70's carbs are better candidates for a rebuild. I have had a Quadrajet or two that I could never get to run right. I just blamed it on a warped casting and found another one to rebuild. When you get a good one that works good you will be happy. Read up on Quadrajet rebuilds and seal up those well plugs that always leak.

swivelneck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

hi guys ,i have a 1968 472 that im running in a race boat .the motor is completly stock but i have new valve springs and timing gears and chain ordered,we plan to turn the motor 4500 rpms,what i want to know with the new parts will the motor take the 4500 rpms for about 1 minute forty seconds at wot,do u think the crank and rods will stand up to this,we plan to race this saturday but i dont think we will have the parts then so will be running the motor as it is ,we have run the motor before turning 4500 but buddy tells me the valve are floating but the motor sounds great ,we dont want to destroy the motor before the parts come but come race day ,we are RACING ,U CAN CHECK IT OUT ON NOVA SCOTIA RACE BOAT ASSOCIATION

I would have said it would be no problem. I didn't think valves would float at 4500 rpm. I guess they are. I can't imagine a Caddy engine grenadeing in less than 2 minutes though. When you get the new springs you should be safe then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.