Help with new engine please
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Help with new engine please in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Have a 1970 eldo 500 with a 1970 deville transmission and pan on it. due to what i'm putting it ...
  1. #1
    KEGGER1454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10

    Help with new engine please

    Have a 1970 eldo 500 with a 1970 deville transmission and pan on it. due to what i'm putting it in i traded with a guy for the deville stuff. so...here the engine sits....what all can i take off of it and still run right? i'm trying to pretty it up a little. i already have header flanges and wanting a one wire alternator? i would really like a cam with a lot of thump to it...actually looking into a mts#15 cam or comp cam mutha thumper series...they sound awesome on bbc. also have cad company stage 2 rockers. thanks guys and love the forum so far!
    nate



  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Help with new engine please

    What are your plans for the motor? Are you going to rebuild it? A real 1970 eldo motor will have 950 heads and a 094 crank... these are the last 3 numbers of the castings ...

  4. #3
    KEGGER1454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help with new engine please

    Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    What are your plans for the motor? Are you going to rebuild it? A real 1970 eldo motor will have 950 heads and a 094 crank... these are the last 3 numbers of the castings ...
    not going to rebuild but new parts i already have are...high flow water pump, oil pump, stage 2 rockers, header flanges for custom headers. things i want are a thumper cam, edelbrock intake and to clean it up. not looking for huge power gains seeing how its going into a 2400lb vehicle...just going for reliable fun. not sure about the castings but the title says 1970 eldo and i drove it home

  5. #4
    drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Help with new engine please

    One thing that you must do is change the timing gears and chain... The stock gears have a plastic coating to make them run quiet... this plastic breaks off and makes the chain sloppy and loose... this happenes to all of them.... if let go sooner or later it will jump teeth and bend all the valves... cloyes makes a great replacment, don't buy the cheap one... about $100 is the good one... If you are not going to change the cam . when you put on the the gears and chain, there are 3 keyways on the crank gear, use the +4 keyway... this will advance your cam timing by 4 degrees..you will be happy you did...

  6. #5
    KEGGER1454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help with new engine please

    Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    One thing that you must do is change the timing gears and chain... The stock gears have a plastic coating to make them run quiet... this plastic breaks off and makes the chain sloppy and loose... this happenes to all of them.... if let go sooner or later it will jump teeth and bend all the valves... cloyes makes a great replacment, don't buy the cheap one... about $100 is the good one... If you are not going to change the cam . when you put on the the gears and chain, there are 3 keyways on the crank gear, use the +4 keyway... this will advance your cam timing by 4 degrees..you will be happy you did...

    now thats the info i wanted...i'm def going to change the cam...do i still want to do the plus 4? i also just got an HEI distributor in the mail...wooohoo! thanks

  7. #6
    drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Help with new engine please

    If you are going to change the cam make sure you get everything as a package from people the specialize in this motor... I have got a few from different vendors.. By far I was the happiest with MTS... another thing, get the best lifters they got... nothing worse than distroy a motor breaking in a cam..Use all the break in additives...When you buy the cam , ask if you should advance it..

  8. #7
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore - Kent Island
    Age
    75
    Posts
    45,941

    Re: Help with new engine please

    If you don't want to degree the cam (degree wheel and pointer) there's nothing wrong with simply using the +4 crank sprocket setting. Advancing the cam does 2 things: it moves the power curve down about 500 or so rpm; the cam "comes in" sooner (good for street use), and it allows for the inevitable chain stretch/wear as time goes by. Conversely, retarding the cam moves the power curve higher in the rpm band (good for track use).

    Does Cloyes make a timing set for your engine ???

    Take an old engine builder's advice: Stay pretty conservative with your cam selection. Thumpy lumpy cams may sound cool, but they make the car a bitch to drive, require quite a bit of engine controls tuning, and practically force you to run the engine above 2000 rpm all day. Unless you're building a bracket racer, a good high-torque midrange cam is your ticket to heaven.

  9. #8
    KEGGER1454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help with new engine please

    Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    If you are going to change the cam make sure you get everything as a package from people the specialize in this motor... I have got a few from different vendors.. By far I was the happiest with MTS... another thing, get the best lifters they got... nothing worse than distroy a motor breaking in a cam..Use all the break in additives...When you buy the cam , ask if you should advance it..
    i've talked with cad company and those guys are extrememly friendly and their website is soooo full of great facts...i definetly want to buy some stuff from them. thanks for the heads up!

    Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    If you don't want to degree the cam (degree wheel and pointer) there's nothing wrong with simply using the +4 crank sprocket setting. Advancing the cam does 2 things: it moves the power curve down about 500 or so rpm; the cam "comes in" sooner (good for street use), and it allows for the inevitable chain stretch/wear as time goes by. Conversely, retarding the cam moves the power curve higher in the rpm band (good for track use).

    Does Cloyes make a timing set for your engine ???

    Take an old engine builder's advice: Stay pretty conservative with your cam selection. Thumpy lumpy cams may sound cool, but they make the car a bitch to drive, require quite a bit of engine controls tuning, and practically force you to run the engine above 2000 rpm all day. Unless you're building a bracket racer, a good high-torque midrange cam is your ticket to heaven.
    i can't believe i've never heard of this...too cool! i just bought a cloyes roller chain set last night...it has the 3 keyways and i'll make sure to advance it!

    thats exactly why i thought the thumper cam would be a good suit for me...it idles horrible which i like but its not really a radical race cam so driveability would be fine. and like i said i''m not going for crazy amount of horsepower just a good sound and good performance to match. you guys are great!

  10. #9
    JiipeeH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11

    Re: Help with new engine please

    Remember when adding over 0.500" lift cam, valve retainers will hit the guides, so guides must be machined little bit down.
    Other thing is, does the stage II rockers fit to the stock valve covers?

  11. #10
    KEGGER1454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thread Starter

    Re: Help with new engine please

    Quote Originally Posted by JiipeeH View Post
    Remember when adding over 0.500" lift cam, valve retainers will hit the guides, so guides must be machined little bit down.
    Other thing is, does the stage II rockers fit to the stock valve covers?
    great i was wondering what needed machining...shouldn't be too big of a deal hopefully...any guidance?

    they will fit with the 2X gaskets from cad co.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting