fuel filter location 1970 deville 472cc - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, fuel filter location 1970 deville 472cc in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ok well meant in the fuel pump here is a pic you can see it. had to down size the ...
    hardley-etc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo

Re: fuel filter location 1970 deville 472cc

ok well meant in the fuel pump

here is a pic you can see it. had to down size the picture i took of the manual page, but can still make it out.

took other pictures of the manual for the members but posting requires me to down size so much the words are not too readable.
    Attached Images

Kevin Preston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 Fleetwood

I just did this exact procedure on my 1969 Fleetwood. This is after (since I just did my 1970 Corvette) unbolting the A/C compressor, removing belts, removing hoses, etc, to get at my carb fuel inlet, getting that off, and discovering.....oh oh, there is no filter in there. In fact, there is not even ROOM for the length of the replacement filter, if I had bothered to look. Oh well, those hoses were dry and rotted, so maybe that 1 hour of work wasn't wasted....

Anyhow, yes, the filter is INSIDE the fuel pump. It is right behind the fuel outlet (steel) pipe. In fact, it's a similar arrangement to the carb-based filters. This is what you do.

Get a drain pan on the ready. Take a 1/2" flare nut wrench, and carefully remove the flare on the steel fuel line. It goes into a larger fitting that screws into the pump. You should have enough clearance with a standard flare wrench to do this.

Unscrew, and carefully move the pipe out of the way without stressing or bending it. Now, take a 1/2" drive 1 1/4" socket, put it on a 5-6" extension, and a ratchet. (Don't be a dufus and try to use a crescent wrench or pliers). Making sure you are not on any kind of an angle (where you might strip the very thin fitting head) get that socket onto the fitting, and loosen it. 5" extension should give you enough clearance to do this. It may be VERY tight. Mine came off with such a SNAP I thought I broke something. Have your pan ready, as there will be a gush of fuel as the pump is fairly large. CAREFULLY take off the fitting. There should be a gasket (ring) and a spring on the far side of the paper filter. My spring actually stayed up inside the pump, I could feel it with my finger, but left it as is. Yours may shoot out, so watch for it.

The filter has a hole on one end. Notice it is the end that goes towards the filter. Install it backwards, and no fuel will come out of the bottom of the pump and into the steel fuel line. Push it in against the spring, you should feel a little resistance.

Screw the fitting back in, making sure your gasket is there and clean (and make sure you have cleaned the fitting as well) and snug the fitting down. Then screw your line in and tighten--not too tight, with your flare wrench.

Start up and check for leaks. Drive it around, check for leaks again.

If you are still fairly flexible, you can do the above procedure without jacking the front end up. If you have lowered your Cadillac, all bets off on that point.

ELCad1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did this today. The rubber gasket that holds the filter in place inside the fuel pump disintegrated. No one had a replacement gasket so I ended up getting a new fuel pump. It was fairly cheap. Now it is time to replace all the hoses that go into the fuel pump.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

472cc??

How about 8200cc.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

One of my manuals states that the filter is an "integral part of the fuel pump, and should be changed each 12,000 miles" I haven't seen one myself in that year area, so it's just what I read.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.