Visual differences in 472 vs 500
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Visual differences in 472 vs 500 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hey everyone, new to the board. Anyone know a way to visually tell if an engine is a 472cc versus ...
    DaGriff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 DeVille Convertible

Visual differences in 472 vs 500

hey everyone, new to the board.
    Anyone know a way to visually tell if an engine is a 472cc versus a 500cc?

thanks for any info you can give me.
    -joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: Visual differences in 472 vs 500

The 68/69 472s have a different block#. The best test of 70-76 is check the stroke. The 70-74 Eldo is 500 (special pan); all 75-76 (except Seville 350) are 500. Bruce Roe

Hey Bruce, thanks for the info,
    I've got a 70 DeVille convertible I just got. Over the years, and past owners, things got changed...paint color, interior color and trim don't match the numbers. My valve covers seem to be different from other 70 DeVilles I've seen, but they seem to match those I've seen on Eldos. On my car the driver's side valve cover has a PCV vent hole that is on the side of the valve cover facing the carb. On the other DeVille's i've seen the vent hole has been on the top of the valve cover facing outward. I just thought maybe some changes were made with the engine as well. I was looking for some visual clues without digging into the engine. I read somewhere on the internet that the 472 had a front sump oil pan and the 500 had a rear sump oil pan.......don't know if this is true or not. And also, maybe this could be swapped as well. Thanks for the reply.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

To find out what you really have... Start with the block number and the casting number on the heads.. the number on the heads is under the rocker cover... this won't tell you if its a 472 or a 500 , but it can give you a idea of what year it is and if someone put in a 425 in there... does it have a EGR valve?

Thanks for the reply drmenard. it doesn't look like i have an EGR valve.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

So if it is a no on the EGR, looks like it could be a 1970 intake... the 1970 motors had some 1970 only things... they had no air pump and no air tube or holes drilled in the heads...they had 2 compressor - P/S pump belts and one alt belt... if yours has these things changes are it is a 1970 motor...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.