Help Help just rebuilt my 472 ....converting to hei problems...help :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Help Help just rebuilt my 472 ....converting to hei problems...help :( in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hi everyone, i have a 1969 coupe cadillac deville. i just rebuilt my 472 and i wanted to convert to ...
    gsautotech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 fleetwood brougham, 1969 coupe deville

Help Help just rebuilt my 472 ....converting to hei problems...help :(

hi everyone, i have a 1969 coupe cadillac deville. i just rebuilt my 472 and i wanted to convert to hei ignition. the problem am having is the distributor wont fit due to a pipe mounted to the heads. the pipe links to an air pump which am guessing the heads are air cooled. have anyone ran into this problem?. can i eliminate he pipes n air pump and plug the heads? is there a specific hei distributor i can use that would give enough clearance from the pipe? thanks for your time. any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: Help Help just rebuilt my 472 ....converting to hei problems...help :(

Unless you want to keep everything stock, what most guys do with these motors is plug the holes in the heads with plugs or dimes and get rid of the air pump...they get pullies off a 76 or 77-79 425 motor .... most of these did not have a air pump... some Cal. cars still had pumps....these pullies will give clearance so the belt don't rub on the distrubtor cap... all you have to get is the crank and waterpump pullies...nothing else will have to be changed, everything will line up.. And another thing to remember.. change the wire to the HEI... the one to the points distrubtor has a resistor in it that you don't need for the HEI distrubtor...

gsautotech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 fleetwood brougham, 1969 coupe deville

>> drmenard thanks for the help. by eliminating the air pump would the heads over heat? i tried eliminating the pump b4 on another 472 motor and plugged the holes with freezer plugs. after doing this , the engine would crank...start...choke/or struggle to stay on.. then shut off. :/ so a long story short...eliminating the air pump,will this harm the motor in any form?

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

The air pump , pumps air into the exhaust to help burn any unburned fuel.. It should make no difference in the the running of the motor.. but you will save a little power not running the pump...Don't know why you had trouble with that other motor....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.