1968 Quadrajet throttle bushings and leakdown
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1968 Quadrajet throttle bushings and leakdown in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've built several q-jets and I know the typical problems with worn throttle bores and well plug leakdown, but I'm ...
    man1ey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

1968 Quadrajet throttle bushings and leakdown

I've built several q-jets and I know the typical problems with worn throttle bores and well plug leakdown, but I'm about to do it again and I would like your ideas.

On the throttle bushing solution, do you recommend doing it myself using one of the kits online that come with a drill bit and brass bushings? I don't have a drill press and I don't know if I'm going to get the angle close enough.

Also regarding the bushings, I'm not even sure I have to do it. To test, I sprayed ether right on the outside of the bore while the car idled. On the driver's side, there was no effect. On the passenger side, there was a significant drop in idle. That indicates the bore is elongated on the passenger side. Agree?

And last of all on the well plugs - I've fixed them with cheap epoxy and marine epoxy and nothing holds long enough. If you've ever tapped the well plugs and fit them with a threaded plug, I'd like to hear how that went for you.

Age-old questions I know! But I've researched all the solutions and I'm not convinced on a couple of things. I want to hear from people who have tried 'em.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: 1968 Quadrajet throttle bushings and leakdown

Doug Roe's illustrations recommend using a drill press to repair the bores. I have seen the wells capped with brass plugs. I didn't investigate further. They appeared to be pressed in. If they used a sealer, I don't know.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: 1968 Quadrajet throttle bushings and leakdown

I had a V8 that would idle nicely at 500 rpm. Trouble was, the idle speed kept changing. I finally found, the the butterflies didn't always close to the exact same position. The throttle bearings were worn, and sometimes things would move around and bind. A bigger problem than air leaking past bushings. Bruce Roe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.