New members sayin' howdy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, New members sayin' howdy in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just found this forum about a week ago and have been reading everything I can about the Cadillac 472/500 ...
    Cyncwby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 500 engine & T-400

New members sayin' howdy

I just found this forum about a week ago and have been reading everything I can about the Cadillac 472/500 engine. I know Chevys and Fords but the last Cad engine I worked on was my Dad's '47 flathead.....A LONG time ago.

I was searching for quite a while for a Buick 401/425 Nailhead for a future project but no luck so I started reading about the big Cad engines...glad I did. I found a couple of "supposed to be" 500 Cad's but they turned out to be '68 472's so I kept looking.

By chance I looked on our local News website that also has a free classified section. There it was, a '75 500 engine and T-400 sitting in a storage shed, 40,000 orig. miles (I knew that was prob. B.S.)....$350 or best offer. When I looked at it I could see red silicone sealer on the wtr. pump and pan gasket and made mention of that. The lady said ...well yes it was rebuilt about 10 years ago but it only has 40,000 miles on it. Anyway I ended up offering her $250 and she grabbed it.

Not knowing what had been done to it I pulled all the accessories (which will be for sale) and removed the heads, it's .030 over and you can still see the cross hatch very clearly in the cylinders. Absolutely NO ridge and the pistons look like new. I pulled one rod cap and the bearings and crank are perfect, the water pump is shot as is the timing gear plate but I think I scored pretty good on this one. Anyway enough for now, looking forward to continue reading about some mild hi perf. builds...Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

Re: New members sayin' howdy

Hi Dave & welcome.

Any particular car in mind for your 500 or you just like to tinker on engines?

Cyncwby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 500 engine & T-400

Re: New members sayin' howdy

Thanks for the welcome...actually I plan on putting it in a '32 roadster pick up....some day. I'm going to have to install a chevy 4X4 tail shaft and housing on the T400. Can't believe how long that thing is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.