76 eldorado fuel injection
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BRUCE ROE
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 76 eldorado fuel injection in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 76 eldorado fuel injection, it runs rough on cold start, blows black smoke, runs rich, for a ...
    dpoulin17 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): eldorado

76 eldorado fuel injection

I have a 76 eldorado fuel injection, it runs rough on cold start, blows black smoke, runs rich, for a couple of minutes then runs great, I changed the injectors,but still have problem,, any ideas,,, thanks Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 76 eldorado fuel injection

There is a board member, Bruce Roe, that I believe knows these systems better than anyone.. If you have something wrong with your computer, he's the man to fix it.. But first check your two temp sensors... Unplug them and check the resistance with a ohm meter.. with everything cold they should read about the same, within a few hundred ohms.. If they check open,they are bad.... I have some of these sensors....I believe the coolant sensor is in a hose that comes off the passanger side head at the firewall.. The air temp sensor is in the intake, its on the passanger side , rear of the intake... But you could have a bad map sensor, thats in the computer or could be a leak in the hose going to it..

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

I would start by checking the temp sensors, which fail often. However, that doesn't sound like a temp sensor. It could be a bad ECU, perhaps the MAP sensor (located inside the ECU). Having a backup makes swapping ECUs a good test procedure. No charge for testing an ECU if you send it here.

Make sure the vacuum line from the throttle body to the ECU will hold a vacuum. A leak will make it rich. You could pinch the hose on the fuel return line. If it doesn't get richer (more fuel pressure), the pressure regulator has a problem. See a wiring diagram for your ECU and some other stuff is in several ALBUMS of my PHOTOBUCKET. Bruce Roe

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album
    click on a picture to enlarge + description
    70eldo likes this.

eliyahu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado Convertible

so, where can I find the air-temp sensor and water temp sensor to replace failed ones?

Eli

I have them for sale..

Quote Originally Posted by eliyahu
    where can I find the air-temp sensor and water temp sensor to replace failed ones? Eli
    I have seen them on Ebay, and Maximum Torque Specialties sells new ones. Bruce Roe

I have sent him one to get him going.. MTS has them for $110 each

If you only have one good sensor, make sure its the one in the coolant. It has
    far more effect than the one in manifold air. Bruce Roe

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

You can swap the air sensor for the coolant temp sensor, same part number! to see if the cold start changes. By that, I mean better or worse. Bruce knows his stuff!

Eli emailed me today , he got the sensor I sent him and he will be putting it in soon.. Hope he posts his results...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.