500 drive belts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 drive belts in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What is the reason for the dual belt setup on the AC/PS pumps? I replaced the waterpump and now the ...
    Leadfoot500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Eldorado Conv

500 drive belts

What is the reason for the dual belt setup on the AC/PS pumps?
    I replaced the waterpump and now the belt rubs on it to the point where it pushes out into the other belt.
    Can I get away with running just the outer one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 500 drive belts

I thought this was the greatest place in the Cadillac universe?
    60 views and nobody has an answer?
    Oh well, I guess I'll just continue doing things the way I have always done...figuring it out myself.

For any interested parties here's what I'm doing...

Just a little freshening up under the hood.
    New parts include all the essentials:
    waterpump, radiator, hoses, carb rebuild, valve seals, some minor welding to bodymounts and battery area, etc. All work done by me.
    Here's what it looks like in one piece.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

You have a beautiful car. The engine forums don't get a lot of traffic, and classic Caddies don't have enough traffic to warrant their own forums. It's a labor of love you're engaged in.....and a worthy one. Keep up the good work.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    You have a beautiful car. It's a labor of love you're engaged in.....and a worthy one. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you Sir.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Send a PM to the member "csbuckn". He frequents the RWD forum and just finished swapping a 500 into his 1990 Brougham.

Rolex, maybe move this back to RWD? It would get answered there much faster (or at all).

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Not really sure where you could be rubbing... Let us know where ... I know there were two waterpump castings.. But I think the pulley would rub on the wrong pump... In 1974 they started using HEI distrubtor and those had one belt.. Not all 74's had it...

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Send a PM to the member "csbuckn". He frequents the RWD forum and just finished swapping a 500 into his 1990 Brougham.
    Rolex, maybe move this back to RWD? It would get answered there much faster (or at all).
    I'll have to check out that swap of his. I have another 500 which will get stuffed into my G-body Monte. All Eldorado's like this were FWD.

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    Not really sure where you could be rubbing... Let us know where ... I know there were two waterpump castings.. But I think the pulley would rub on the wrong pump... In 1974 they started using HEI distrubtor and those had one belt.. Not all 74's had it...
    Yup, the crank drive pulley rubbed...nothing a die grinder and a 1/16 of material removal didn't fix. I think it could be the later '74 and up pump.
    I still have the OE pump wich worked but I figured as long as I'm this far.
    There is a rebuild kit with the bearing and seal so maybe I'll just rebuild the original and take that one back to Auto Zone and yell...again.
    The Radiator was a 4x trip before I recieved the correct one.

Corto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    .....The engine forums don't get a lot of traffic, and classic Caddies don't have enough traffic to warrant their own forums. ......
    Sorry for offtopic, but just want to coment this.
    I am new here (just a month ago bought my first Caddy (75 Eldo)) and was looking for discussion forums. You can only imagine my initial enthusiasmus about this car and everything related to it.
    I was happy when I found this forum, but when I have seen that everything has been put together, and that I would need to spend most of my time to filter out the threads and posts which are not in my interest area, I have lost my initial enthusiasmus, and I come here from time to time, but not regularly.

I think there are lot of people who would be active here, if they can fell themselves as a part of a homogenious group, with a common interest.
    So I am sure there would be much more people and discussions if the people would have a proper environment.
    I.e. you can create a separate forums for the classics (50's, 60"s, 70"s,..)...
    and allow the people to group themselves according to their interest...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.