68 sedan deville 472 project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 68 sedan deville 472 project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello! newbie from Finland is writing.. I have 68 sedan deville(non-ht) with 472 engine. Doing overhaul for the engine and ...
    JiipeeH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

68 sedan deville 472 project

Hello!

newbie from Finland is writing..
    I have 68 sedan deville(non-ht) with 472 engine.
    Doing overhaul for the engine and for the whole front of car(suspension,steering etc).
    I have to overbore(.030") my block, Question is which piston I should use?
    I dont want low compression ratio, since compression is not a problem, we only have 95/98/99 octane gasoline in Finland. Gasoline prize is 6.5$/gallon
    I dont care how much is mpg... since this car is a hobby car, not a car I use daily.

I already have forged I-beam rods(ebay ~200$, chinese crap.. ) with arp bolts. Not a bushed full floating style.
    So, from flashcraft RC cast pistons with 10.5:1 compression ratio or Keith black 472 pistons? KB has lower compression ratio -> how much I will loose hp/torque?
    Other things: I have planned to put a mts #10 cam+lifters, new springs, oversize valves, flashcraft stage III adjustable shaft rockers, 902 76cc heads, headers with dual exhaust(no x- or h-pipe), hi-volume oil pump, cloyes timing set, hei/msd ignition etc.

Let me show some pictures:
    front comparment, broken piston, rod journals

edit: those scrap dual exhaust which are on photo have gone to trash bin.. not mine job..
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: 68 sedan deville 472 project

JiipeeH,
    Hi and welcome. I'll address the points you mentioned on a point by point basis.

Doing overhaul for the engine and for the whole front of car(suspension,steering etc).
    I have to overbore(.030") my block, Question is which piston I should use?
    I dont want low compression ratio, since compression is not a problem, we only have 95/98/99 octane gasoline in Finland. Gasoline prize is 6.5$/gallon
    I dont care how much is mpg... since this car is a hobby car, not a car I use daily.

I already have forged I-beam rods(ebay ~200$, chinese crap.. ) with arp bolts. Not a bushed full floating style.

Why did you go with these? You state questionable quality. New / Used? Why not original rods?
    If you question the strength of the rods, send them to a shop and have them maged and rockford tested.

So, from flashcraft RC cast pistons with 10.5:1 compression ratio or Keith black 472 pistons? KB has lower compression ratio -> how much I will loose hp/torque?

Are either of these hyperutechic or high silicone cast pistons or forged?

Other things: I have planned to put a mts #10 cam+lifters, new springs, oversize valves, flashcraft stage III adjustable shaft rockers, 902 76cc heads, headers with dual exhaust(no x- or h-pipe), hi-volume oil pump, cloyes timing set, hei/msd ignition etc.

Make sure your valve lift / valve size / cylinder head selection will allow clearance with whichever pistons you select.

JiipeeH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My rods are these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220608317389

So, should I use original rods instead?
    I read on many places that 472/500 rod etc. are not designed to handle over 4000 rpm ?

Stock rods could handle over 4000 rpm, but not for extended periods and most likely not on a daily basis. Depends on the weight of the piston. Not familiar with the rods you have. If they are all they advertize, they should be an improvement over stock rods. That said, they don't give you much. No assurances, guarantees, ratings, or recommendations.

Here's an outline from a Hotrod article on the build of a performance 500.

505-Inch Pump-Gas Cadillac Engine - Full-Frontal Cadillac

BY THE NUMBERS
    TORQUE INC. 505CI CADILLAC
    Bore: 4.320-inch
    Stroke: 4.304-inch
    Displacement: 505 cubic inches
    Compression ratio: 10.5:1
    Camshaft: DRC solid flat-tappet
    Cam duration: 258/258 degrees
    at .050-inch tappet rise
    Valve lift: . .630-inch
    Rocker ratio: T&D 1.8 ratio shaft rockers
    Lobe separation: 112 degrees
    Installed centerline: 110 degrees
    Top ring: .043-inch Speed Pro barrel face
    Second ring: .063 Speed Pro scraper
    Oil ring: 3mm
    Piston: Diamond center dish forged
    Block: OEM Cadillac 500
    Crankshaft: OEM Cadillac 500
    Rods: Scat/MTS 7.000-inch H-beam
    Main journal: 3.240-inch
    Rod Journal: 2.490-inch
    Cylinder head: MTS/Bulldog
    Intake valve diameter: 2.250-inch
    Exhaust valve diameter: 1.860-inch
    Intake manifold: MTS/Bulldog single-plane
    Carburetor: CSU modified Holley 1050 Dominator
    Header: Fab Shop 2-inch primaries;
    3.5-inch merge collector
    Ignition: ICE Ignition 10 amp
    Damper: MTS
    Water pump: MTS/Torque Inc.

On The Dyno Dts Dyno Data Torque Inc. 505CI Cadillac

Of course this is for a 500. Got this from another post 4 pages back, There is another on the same page regarding the single engine land speed record machine. It is interesting, but has few details regarding engine internals.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.