weird sounds from torque converter/flywheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, weird sounds from torque converter/flywheel in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; keep in mind that these noises were present before car was parked "x" number of months ago....... so last week ...
    1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Question weird sounds from torque converter/flywheel

keep in mind that these noises were present before car was parked "x" number of months ago.......
    so last week I did an oil change on the 79 cdv d'elegance after being non driven in ? (forgot) so once that was done, I tried numerous to fire it up and no luck...sprayed starting fluid and pressed the accelerator numerous times and nothing, once it fired had to keep my foot on the accelerator otherwise it'll stall and again will have a hard time starting it up (that's another issue I have) so once running, it still has those noises when it was parked and I assumed it was the engine (that's why it was parked) but now hearing it again it's not coming from there. So took it down to get a safety inspection and passed (only requires safety on 25 and older cars in texas) and was told by the dudes there that the sounds is coming from the torque converter....
    while drivng it, those sounds will go away but still audible but not as loud when idiling in neutral or red light stop sign and it is present too when trying to start it up.
    Anyone heard of this being the cause? If so how can I check this out..
    Yrs back I had an 80 FWB d'elegance coupe and had noises, the way they checked to see if it was engine or trans was to disengage the flywheel; if it was flywheel then it would stop, but it didn't. Can I do the same to the 79?
    Sorry so long; any help I would appreciate it, would hate to see the 79 go for junk if sold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: weird sounds from torque converter/flywheel

You have a 425 engine & THM400 transmission? Seems like, you ought to take it to a transmission shop & ask if they can fix it. I would insist they rebuild your original & put it back in the car, NO SHIFT KITS. And KEEP the wavy plates in the clutch packs. The 400 is a great trans, not hard to deal with. Bruce Roe

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If the noise is more noticable in park and its a ticking, not whining noise, pull the flywheel cover off and look for rust streaks on the flywheel. Common for the flywheel (flexplate) to crack where it mounts to the rear of the crankshaft. The cracks rust and leave these streaks. If its a whining noise, then either its a torque converter or the trans front pump. OR the fluid is low OR the in trans filter is partially plugged up.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

If your stator starts tearing itself up, you will hear a sound like marbles rolling inside a chamber of oil as you change engine speed. A ticking or loud cracking sound could be a cracked flexplate. If one of the three bolts that hold the torque converter to the flexplate have snapped or come loose, it will almost sound like a rod knock. Take the inspection cover off and check it out. You can't hurt anything doing that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.