Edelbrock 1411 Carb for 472. Need help with Adapter Plate!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Edelbrock 1411 Carb for 472. Need help with Adapter Plate! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone, I am trying to install the 1411 Edelbrock Performance Carb on my 472, 1969 Cadillac Eldorado. I called ...
    pwrofjoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Eldorado

Edelbrock 1411 Carb for 472. Need help with Adapter Plate!

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install the 1411 Edelbrock Performance Carb on my 472, 1969 Cadillac Eldorado. I called Edelbrock and they recommended the 2697 Adapter Kit. When I placed it over the intake manifold, it is not an exact fit. I've placed some pictures of the intake manifold and the plate and show the area that would create a vaccum leak. Can someone please help me understand if this is the right kit, and if so, am I placing it incorrectly? Thanks everyone.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Edelbrock 1411 Carb for 472. Need help with Adapter Plate!

I hate to say this, but going from a Rochester QJ to a Carter or Holley derivative square bore carb on that manifold is NOT a performance gain - it's a performance loss.

Much better to either tune and do some metering rod work your present QJ or have the guys out at JET Performance build another street tune QJ for you. www.jetchip.com. Find the 8x11 paperback Rochester book by Doug Roe, HP Books.

JET builds the QJ's for my marine Olds 455 rebuilds and I have no complaints.

Why is it a performance loss?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The QJ installed on your engine uses mechanical secondaries which are flow-controlled by that air valve in the top of the air horn. The QJ automatically adjusts itself to the maximum airflow needed by the engine at any given instant and load requirements: and it's a spreadbore. That's why the primaries are relatively small (economy and quick part-throttle performance); the secondaries are huge and allow the carb to flow up to 850 cfm if the engine can use it.

The Edelbrock #1411 is a 750 cfm Carter AFB derivative - a square bore with purely mechanical secondaries. Your adapter necks down the larger AFB primaries to the QJ original primary bore diameter in order to maintain low and part-throttle driveability, BUT the secondary bores in the AFB and adapter are smaller than the QJ bores in the manifold, so the aftermarket carb will NEVER flow as much as the OEM QJ.

"Yeah, but with the AFB the mechanical secondaries slam open faster than the QJ air valve......so I get more power faster....." yes, they do, and no, you don't. Slam open the secondaries at low and mid-engine speeds and you get a stumble and bog because the fuel metering won't come in with low airflow through the wide open venturis - that's the beauty of the QJ: the air valve keeps the carb tuned to airflow requirements and the hanger and cam on the air valve bring the mixture in as secondary airflow can use it.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It does look like a restricter plate since you are going from large secondary ports to small ones. Quadrajets are the best carbs ever designed (for street cars) but I get tired of saying it and I assume people get tired of hearing it. That's why I didn't have the heart to post anything earlier. I don't have a suggestion about the ill fitting restricter plate anyway but they must make different models or versions because that one obviously doesn't fit right.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the QJ Carb. In all honesty, I think the performance that the Edelbrock Carb will rob will be minimal and probably unnoticeable. I went with the Edlebrock #1411 because of looks. I am going to have a painted and chromed engine bay and think the Edelbrock Carb complements that. Anyone looking to drive this car already knows it's heavy and has terrible gas mileage, and is not looking to optimize performance by 5 to 10% using the QJ carb. Instead, they want a car that looks nice on the outside, looks nice under the hood and runs strong. I think you both have an excellent point regarding the QJ performance compared to other After market carbs, and certainly appreciate your input. Thanks again!

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Thumbs down Re: Edelbrock 1411 Carb for 472. Need help with Adapter Plate!

Looks over Function?

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

I like Qjets too. But if you must use the adapter, you could cut an aluminum plate maybe 1/16" thick to cover your manifold with the proper openings, and use your original gasket. Then put the square bore adapter on top with an appropriate Qjet or home made gasket. Bruce Roe

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by deVille33 View Post
    Looks over Function?
    I can see using a nice shiny carb on a nice clean engine and living with a little less efficiency, but an ugly Qjet can be hidden pretty well with a chrome drop base air cleaner. That's what I do anyway. You have to bend over a little if you want to see the carb. Here is my ugly Qjet:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.