472 heads on 500 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 heads on 500 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've done what your doing and am using the engine in a 1986 Chebby 4WD pulling truck. Have done a ...
    Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: 472 heads on 500

I've done what your doing and am using the engine in a 1986 Chebby 4WD pulling truck. Have done a few less educated things.

If the oil pump comes off - make sure you get the thin paper gasket for it -- if not you may be putting grindings in your engine and have rod bearing problems.... (#8 to be exact) - {I bought a Fel-Pro engine set - it didn't have an oil pump gasket and I had a basket case engine to work with for the first time -- so I figured you didn't need one -- don't do that...}

I don't think the compression will hurt you as Caddycarlo runs that kinda compression + a blower + a little bottle -- Detonation will cause you problems -- I run 110 octane racing fuel and limit the timing to around 34 degrees @ 3,000 rpm.

go to 500cid.com - Al has some good parts and an online catalog (he's got the oil pump gaskets seperatly as well)

He also has a 1 or 2 in spacer that goes under the Carb. It gets the back throttle plates out of the manifold - frees it up quite a bit. Painted I doubt they would even know or notice.

They only check to see that we pull 15" Vac. I'm running Al's VT-15 cam and it's on the edge. Down from that is the 3 - 5 and 10 series. They are ground to upgrade the design from orginal and retain drivablity. The 3 - 5 and even the 10 do it without a lope. I think the highest you could go without upgrading valve spring and cutting down the length of the valve guides is the 5 and maybe even the 10.

You could also upgrade your HEI with better pickup, coil etc.

After the three engines I went through in the last three months - I glad I properly cleaned the block, had new cam bearings and had the rod journals turned 20 thousands instead of tailgating the engines together.

Even though your engine ran good - how long has it sat around - old acidic oil does a # on bearings. Then you add near 13:1 compression

Doing what I recently did - I would consider just a minimum.

Your experience may differ - I think my oil pump problem carried with me throughout the first two engines. (I just wasn't about to chance things again)

Let me know how it turns out - I only have a 15 second run - your's will be endurance

Mark --

NickJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 472 heads on 500

all of your help is much appreciated...

just wondering if anyone knew, or knew where i could find the stock specs of all the cams that the 500/472 came with. im having the hardest time finding them on all the sites you guys have directed me to, maybe im blind? and is the ones offered in summit/jegs any good? if this was a small block chevy id have no problems but this caddy stuff is a whole different beast.

maybe i should start another thread for this one but you guys seem to know a lot, so i was wondering do i have to run the gigantic flywheel that came on the 74 eldo 500 or can i use the smaller one off the 71 deville 472? and has anyone ever used a th350 behind one of these motors? i was planning on using the stock 3 speed still in the 76 deville behind the factory 350 olds, due to less rotating mass than a th400 and i was planning on running a stall convertor maybe as well but dont want to run a 13" converter, or whatever that eldo had in it. keep in mind this is for momentum kinda racing not hard launches like drag racing so i think the tranny should be able to hold up.

and i dont think i can run a carb spacer unless theres some kind of invisible spray paint that will make it un-noticable when they lift the hood, everyone knows what they look like so it will be spotted the first time i get teched.

i guess the biggest thing that makes me want to avoid rebuilding it is the cost of a rebuild kit. its 4 times what i paid for the motor. and i dont know if i could get that back out of it if i had to sell this motor on the street beacuse they found it to be illegal.

Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nick,

Just thinking of a couple of other things.

By doing a valve job on the head you have and milling say 20 thousands - you'll bump your compression a little and be pretty reliable using 93 octane.

I've also heard to use your stock cam and advance it about 4 degrees will help quite a bit. You've already got alot more that those Chebbies - remember that

If you go to the high compression route - you might consider hooking up an additional ignition switch - say - under the dash. Your starter will have enough to do with that 13:1... When you add that to a hot motor and around 10 degrees initial advance - it will be hard to start when warm.

This way you can crank the engine over and then hit the Ign when it's whoopin good. --- Saves that buckin against the initial advance!!

Just thinkin outloud

Mark --

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Hey TorqueInc!!! Just saw that you recommend grinding the center out on the intake of that 500 Caddy engine someones building for a racecar...I'd like to see a pic of just what you mean. My hot rod project is my '60 Dodge D-100 w/ a 413 HP from a '62 car. Slowly coming along, but its on hold now, as I'm putting a new motor in my 94 Seville STS...And I've got a '72 Eldo that I picked up for super cheap and I'll probably never get around to working on...but I would like to know more about this intake work you talk about. Thanks a bunch! my email is spyder121212 @ hot mail.com

James

swivelneck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

MTS,can someone give me the web address for mts

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Just Google MTS cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.