472 heads on 500 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 heads on 500 in Cadillac Engine Discussion; I've done what your doing and am using the engine in a 1986 Chebby 4WD pulling truck. Have done a ...
    Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs upRe: 472 heads on 500

I've done what your doing and am using the engine in a 1986 Chebby 4WD pulling truck. Have done a few less educated things.

If the oil pump comes off - make sure you get the thin paper gasket for it -- if not you may be putting grindings in your engine and have rod bearing problems.... (#8 to be exact) - {I bought a Fel-Pro engine set - it didn't have an oil pump gasket and I had a basket case engine to work with for the first time -- so I figured you didn't need one -- don't do that...}

I don't think the compression will hurt you as Caddycarlo runs that kinda compression + a blower + a little bottle -- Detonation will cause you problems -- I run 110 octane racing fuel and limit the timing to around 34 degrees @ 3,000 rpm.

go to 500cid.com - Al has some good parts and an online catalog (he's got the oil pump gaskets seperatly as well)

He also has a 1 or 2 in spacer that goes under the Carb. It gets the back throttle plates out of the manifold - frees it up quite a bit. Painted I doubt they would even know or notice.

They only check to see that we pull 15" Vac. I'm running Al's VT-15 cam and it's on the edge. Down from that is the 3 - 5 and 10 series. They are ground to upgrade the design from orginal and retain drivablity. The 3 - 5 and even the 10 do it without a lope. I think the highest you could go without upgrading valve spring and cutting down the length of the valve guides is the 5 and maybe even the 10.

You could also upgrade your HEI with better pickup, coil etc.

After the three engines I went through in the last three months - I glad I properly cleaned the block, had new cam bearings and had the rod journals turned 20 thousands instead of tailgating the engines together.

Even though your engine ran good - how long has it sat around - old acidic oil does a # on bearings. Then you add near 13:1 compression

Doing what I recently did - I would consider just a minimum.

Your experience may differ - I think my oil pump problem carried with me throughout the first two engines. (I just wasn't about to chance things again)

Let me know how it turns out - I only have a 15 second run - your's will be endurance

Mark --

NickJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 472 heads on 500

all of your help is much appreciated...

just wondering if anyone knew, or knew where i could find the stock specs of all the cams that the 500/472 came with. im having the hardest time finding them on all the sites you guys have directed me to, maybe im blind? and is the ones offered in summit/jegs any good? if this was a small block chevy id have no problems but this caddy stuff is a whole different beast.

maybe i should start another thread for this one but you guys seem to know a lot, so i was wondering do i have to run the gigantic flywheel that came on the 74 eldo 500 or can i use the smaller one off the 71 deville 472? and has anyone ever used a th350 behind one of these motors? i was planning on using the stock 3 speed still in the 76 deville behind the factory 350 olds, due to less rotating mass than a th400 and i was planning on running a stall convertor maybe as well but dont want to run a 13" converter, or whatever that eldo had in it. keep in mind this is for momentum kinda racing not hard launches like drag racing so i think the tranny should be able to hold up.

and i dont think i can run a carb spacer unless theres some kind of invisible spray paint that will make it un-noticable when they lift the hood, everyone knows what they look like so it will be spotted the first time i get teched.

i guess the biggest thing that makes me want to avoid rebuilding it is the cost of a rebuild kit. its 4 times what i paid for the motor. and i dont know if i could get that back out of it if i had to sell this motor on the street beacuse they found it to be illegal.

Mark -- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nick,

Just thinking of a couple of other things.

By doing a valve job on the head you have and milling say 20 thousands - you'll bump your compression a little and be pretty reliable using 93 octane.

I've also heard to use your stock cam and advance it about 4 degrees will help quite a bit. You've already got alot more that those Chebbies - remember that

If you go to the high compression route - you might consider hooking up an additional ignition switch - say - under the dash. Your starter will have enough to do with that 13:1... When you add that to a hot motor and around 10 degrees initial advance - it will be hard to start when warm.

This way you can crank the engine over and then hit the Ign when it's whoopin good. --- Saves that buckin against the initial advance!!

Just thinkin outloud

Mark --

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Hey TorqueInc!!! Just saw that you recommend grinding the center out on the intake of that 500 Caddy engine someones building for a racecar...I'd like to see a pic of just what you mean. My hot rod project is my '60 Dodge D-100 w/ a 413 HP from a '62 car. Slowly coming along, but its on hold now, as I'm putting a new motor in my 94 Seville STS...And I've got a '72 Eldo that I picked up for super cheap and I'll probably never get around to working on...but I would like to know more about this intake work you talk about. Thanks a bunch! my email is spyder121212 @ hot mail.com

James

swivelneck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

MTS,can someone give me the web address for mts

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood

Just Google MTS cadillac

8. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.