HEI distributors identification help needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, HEI distributors identification help needed in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Someone offered to give me some HEI distributers that they said would fit my car but they are both different ...
    YourMainParadox is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1974 Cadillac Hearse 472

HEI distributors identification help needed

Someone offered to give me some HEI distributers that they said would fit my car but they are both different slightly and are unknown to be working or not. I have the only numbers here:: (1112940 6610) and (1103246 6m22). Does anyone know what these came from and if they will fit my 1973 Cadillac 472? What other ones would fit if these won't?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Re: HEI distributors identification help needed

My distributor, a '76 500 is # 1102354, the last year of the 500 engine. Seems like the one you have with #1112940 would be a later one. What are the differences you noted?
    If you have a distributor now, to compare them with, you may be able to figure out if one of those will work for you. If yours is the points type, the double belt system will be in the way of an HEI distributor, so you will have to remove the inside belt or change pulleys etc. That has been covered here before.
    As far as not working, they are simple inside, and parts are not very expensive.

I would have to drive way out and pick them up. He said they came off of a race car so unknown on which v8 they came from.

What are the other options besides going to an HEI?

You might be better off going to an auto salvage yard and getting a later HEI,like '75 thru '76. Mallory has one and MSD has one, but expensive, for a stock engine. Can't remember when HEI was standard on the Caddy engines, '75 on Chevys.
    If you have double belts, the inside one wont clear the HEI distributor, and I believe you can simply remove it. Folks here know more about that.

Do I have to change out anything else to go to the HEI distributor?

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

A points ignition has a resistor or resistor wire (several ohms) in series with the 12V feed to the coil. That resistance must be removed for an HEI. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

Like Bruce said, you need to get 12 volts to the HEI distributor, and not use the wire that's powering the point type distributor.
    On the fuse block under the dash there will be places that have power when the ignition is on (switched power) and you can usually tap in there with a spade connector and run the wire from there to the HEI. Auto stores usually have the HEI power connector for the distributor.

No salvage places around here have these old 472 and 500s. What are the part numbers for those HEI units? There are some neat ones on ebay like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...11323780995027 BUT the guy said this would not fit

Brother_B is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille, 1972 Sedan DeVille

I went to HEI on my '69 472, and kept the double belts, it's very close, rubs a little, but I thinks it's OK, although I don't run the AC... yet. I got a DUI HEI distro. It's probably better to somehow move the double belts out a little or go to single belt, but might not absolutely be required.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.