Remove 472
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Remove 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First post. removing 472 out of my 69 fleetwood. Need simple instructions. Have a manual,says keep tranny and engine together ...
    69 hearsedriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 m$m hearse combo

Talking Remove 472

First post. removing 472 out of my 69 fleetwood. Need simple instructions.
    Have a manual,says keep tranny and engine together for removal. A friend says take them apart,they are easy to put back together. My plan is to remove and clean and new gaskets,hoses,paint. The engine runs! I am not a mechanic but i am mechanicaly inclined. Any easy tips or tricks would be appreciated. My main concern is the trany/engine separation. Will the tranny fall to the floor or will the support hold it? Thanks for any help!
    I have had the car, apart, for 9 years and i am finally digging in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: Remove 472

I always remove the engine by itself. It takes a support for the trans, and another for the engine when its unbolted from the trans. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

You can do either. It is sometimes difficult to remove both together, because you have to have clearance for the trans tailsection.

If I separate engine / trans, I support the trans on a floor jack ( I don't have a trans jack, but they are a nice tool to have, you might be able to rent one ). If your working on the floor, it helps to have another body to assist you. When you separate the trans from the engine you have to wrestle with it to balance it on the jack and that TH400 is one heavy trans. You don't have to do this with a trans jack.

Here's a tip. After you have disconnected the torque converter to flex plate bolts, replace the dust shield. This will keep the torque converter from falling out and dousing you in trans fluid.

Once you,ve separated engine and trans, the engine is now suspended on the engine mounts. It's a good idea to have the engine hooked to whatever your using to pull the engine, then you can take the weight off the mounts, if you plan to save them.

LvVein is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 DeVille convertible

I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now and I was wondering... where do you guys attach the chains to? I'll be pulling the engine and trans together.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by LvVein View Post
    I'm actually in the middle of doing this right now and I was wondering... where do you guys attach the chains to? I'll be pulling the engine and trans together.

The 425 had U straps from the factory. Not sure the 472 had them.
    If I pull an engine and there are no factory provisions, I pull a manifold bolt at the rear corner and another at the opposite bank at the front of the engine. Bolt a speader or a chain length between the two and hook to that.
    If you use a chain, put a long bolt or rod on either side of the hook to keep things from slipping. I sometimes use a old push rod against the force side ( loaded side ) of the hook. Finding the proper balance point is a matter of trial and error, unless you have the spreader bar with the adjustable center point.

ScottConklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 64 Coupe Deville 78 Eldorado 85 Seville 94 Fleetwood

Get a intake-mount lift plate. They are cheap and in conjunction with a leveler on the hoist make pulling the motor a helluva lot easier and safer. For both you and the engine. It's good to have the carb off anyway when yanking one. I've screwed up more than one when a chain slipped or pulled tight where I thought it wouldn't and cracked or just warped the carb body/linkage/etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.