472 will a th700r4 swap directly or...? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 will a th700r4 swap directly or...? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 8000lbs...??? and you are hoping for more than 15 mpg...?...
    albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

Re: 472 will a th700r4 swap directly or...?

8000lbs...???

and you are hoping for more than 15 mpg...?

ScottConklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 64 Coupe Deville 78 Eldorado 85 Seville 94 Fleetwood

What's 8000lbs? More like 5500 or so.(Egads, I missed the Hearse part. Yeah, that might just weigh a full 4 tons).

Re-gearing into the mid 3's and a well built 700 will get you into the low 20's on the highway(assuming well tuned ignition and free-breathing air intake and exhaust). The factory gears were the compromise to gain highway fuel economy. They kill in town performance though. A gear switch alone is great if you don't plan on much highway use. The car peps right up and so does the fuel economy, but it's usually tough on highway MPG.

Better is a 4l80E with a controller. It's essentially a Turbo400 with an OD and computer controlled valve body and will take anything the 472 will dish out, bone stock. With an adapter and controller a good used one won't cost you as much as buying and building the 700.

YourMainParadox is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1974 Cadillac Hearse 472

haha the 4l80e by itself would be over a grand then on top of that the stand alone computer would be 1500+ I don't think I would ever get the gas mpg to make that amount up unless I DD the car

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Gas is getting close to $3.00 again, and 92 is over that. Recalculate.

ScottConklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 64 Coupe Deville 78 Eldorado 85 Seville 94 Fleetwood

Used 4l80E: $600 or less. Rebuilt if you carry it in: $800 or less. Controller, las time I looked(was going to put one behind my 500 intended for the M715): $500. Do a mild shift kit yourself. Stall converter...I forget...$275? All told maybe five or 600 more than building a 700 the right way. And you still don't have something as bulletproof as a built 80.

Drawback to the 80 is carried over from it's TH400 daddy: Parasitic loss. It just takes more to get that mass wound up than it does for the lighter TH350, 700 or especially the 200.

If making it pay for itself is your goal, give up now. Do you think the guy that trades off his 20mpg paid for sedan for a 35MPG econobox ever makes his money back in fuel savings? If he's lucky he breaks even in the life of the car. Might as well keep the old one and avoid the pymts.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I thought Mr Paradox overestimated those prices a little. Since I have never killed a th400 in my life I wouldn't even rebuild any used 4l80e that I bought. I have that much confidence in GM's ability to build a super dependable transmission for the heavy duty applications. I think either swap has it's advantages so I would take the path of least resistance. Whatever deal comes your way first will probably be the easiest.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.