425 Valve cover gaskets
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 425 Valve cover gaskets in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently bought a '78 Deville 425-------my mechanic says it needs new valve gaskets,they are leaking a bit---he wants $250 ...
    pompste is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

425 Valve cover gaskets

I recently bought a '78 Deville 425-------my mechanic says it needs new valve gaskets,they are leaking a bit---he wants $250 including labor.I could do them myself but passenger side cover has an AC line running directly over 1 end of it.
    Might be a real hassle doing it myself.
    Anyone here ever changed their own VC gaskets on a 425? If so---can it be done by a do it yourselfer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 425 Valve cover gaskets

I don't think a cadillac dealer would charge that much.. To me thats a very eazy job... but you have to have some tools and skills...Getting good rubber gaskets will insure it won't be leaking again anytime too soon..cork gaskets are not good here... I always clean the covers so there is no oil atleast where the gasket sets... then I put RTV on the cover to glue the gasket to the cover and let it dry for a hour...make sure the head is clean where the gasket hits it... it is very eazy to over tighten the covers, check torque..

albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

If you have simple hand tools then take your time (you're not charging yourself by the hour..) have a good look at what needs to be done and save your self around $230....

I dont find it a hard job.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

If you could get a picture of the cover with the line running over it, and post it, maybe the folks here could offer more advice. Like if the line comes from the AC compressor, maybe un-bolting the compressor would help get some slack in the line etc.

albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

ok guys...did the google image search bit and came up with these....I hope they provide some enlightenment

I can see how the A/C line could be a nuisance but ya still should be able to get the job done.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The best way would probably be to unbolt the A/C compressor and move it out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by albymangled View Post
    ok guys...did the google image search bit and came up with these....I hope they provide some enlightenment

I can see how the A/C line could be a nuisance but ya still should be able to get the job done.

Thanks much for taking the time to find some pics! I WISH my engine looked as pristine as the one in the pics.
    I had some time yesterday and took a close look at my valve covers-----i found many of the bolts holding them on were loose---so i gently tightened them,just snug.
    Sure is much more room to work under the hood of my '78 SD than my '95 SD.
    Plugs are in plain view and much room to get at them and no computer stuff to deal with either.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The bolts do loosen over time, hopefully tightening them will stop the leaks. The gaskets get rock hard and brittle over time, so if they still leak, the only thing left to do is replace them.
    Non computer cars are great, but it sure is nice when there is a computer that has a code that tells you exactly what is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    The bolts do loosen over time, hopefully tightening them will stop the leaks. The gaskets get rock hard and brittle over time, so if they still leak, the only thing left to do is replace them.
    Non computer cars are great, but it sure is nice when there is a computer that has a code that tells you exactly what is wrong!

Ya---the computer codes do help---but sometimes the codes are a nuisance,like when a problem only happens for a brief second or two and a code pops up and sometimes it stays there until it is cleared manually.
    I do like when the computer kicks the cold idle down on my '95 SD automatically.
    On my '78 SD quadrajet carb----as you know----the cold idle has to knocked down manually by a quick press on acc.pedal after it has warmed up a while.
    Overall i like the PRE--computer Caddy`s better since there`s less pricey things that need repair.

Andrew78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 coupe Deville Delegance

I have just replaced my rocker cover gaskets was a little fiddly but not hard
    remove air filter and be carefull of the egr hose (mine broke with old age )
    make sure gaskets sit correctly as you reinstal the bolts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.