Under hood colors?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Under hood colors? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Evenin' all... I am moving along with my Cadillac Calais and next stop is to clean up and repaint a ...
    albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

Question Under hood colors?

Evenin' all...

I am moving along with my Cadillac Calais and next stop is to clean up and repaint a few things under the hood.

If anyone has some nice clear shots of the engine bay for 1970 in color so that I may work out what to paint in which colors it would be most helpful...

I've tried Google images and the best I came up with were these...

I just don't know how original they are...

If you have anything to share please go ahead..

thanks...

Alby M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Under hood colors?

I'm not sure, but I'll hazard a good guess here. The only thing I see wrong with the color scheme under that hood is the use of gloss black on the inner fenders. Should be a satin finish or a flat.

DV33....thanks for your input...

so you reckon the photo on this page

http://www.1970cadillac.info/page.php?9

with the gold air cleaner would be wrong..?

BTW my engine bay looks more like the first photos I posted...

andy-gts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 and 70 eldorado

Hi
    I have a 68 eldo with 472 and I think the 472 was with a gold air cleaner. the 70 eldo had a 500 cu inch with black air cleaner. I see in the photo you are missing the v shaped bracing pipes that apex at the center back of the engine bay and angle out and attach to the top of each fender at the two holes noted on top of both fenders....I will find a picture of the 472 I have as a screen saver.
    andy

andy-gts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 and 70 eldorado

Red face Re: Under hood colors?

here is the pic of the 472 engine bay
    Attached Images

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

I thought the gold air cleaner was only in '68? My '70 brougham's was black when I got it.

howdy.

thanks for the replies.

68 Eldo.....nice...

my car is a 1970 Calais Coupe..

and yep I have the fender braces in mine....those pictures in the first post are from Google images..

I did wonder if it (the gold color)was only featured on the Eldorado...personally I like it but my car is pretty original and I spose i ought to keep it that way....(????)

DeadEd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 DeVille

Regarding the level of gloss on the inner fenders: I have a '70 as well (DeVille), as does a friend. On both, when cleaned up, the inner fenders have a good deal of gloss to them. Both are original paint in the engine bay. It's not quite a full exterior gloss (say about an 80 percent), but is far more glossy than most satins, and is definitely NOT a flat. Core support is the same color.

BTW - from your photo, it looks like your valve covers are the proper color

DeadEd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 DeVille

Sorry, I missed the part about the photos being googled images. Best I can tell, and I've owned three of them, the car in the photos is mostly accurate. First, the photos are of a DeVille (as in convertible). The drop tops don't have the struts between the center of the cowl and the inner fenders. What stands out as non-stock are:

1) battery cable is the wrong color (every one I've ever seen that hadn't been completely hacked had a black cable to the starter).
    2) The suction throttling valve coming out the evaporator has been upgraded (not a bad thing, just don't use it as a reference).
    3) I've never seen one with a gold-cad brake booster and master cylinder cover.

I'd love to have my engine bay looking that good. Mine is a rust bucket sitting out in the snow. But I'd drive it cross country tomorrow if I could get around to fixing the auto-climate control head as there's no heat coming into the car at the moment.

hardley-etc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo

watch for the malicious code in the link
    02-11-10, 08:09 PM
    keep your virus definitions up to date

2/16/2010,11:57:33 [WARNING] Suspicious file: Contains suspicious code HEUR/HTML.Malware!

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

As for the 472 air cleaners, there were some variations in each year the engines were produced. One was an anniversary year and may be the one that was all gold. I'M not sure what year the one I have is, but it was all black with gold script "472" and chevrons down the snorkle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.