1969 Eldorado No fuel getting to carb. Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1969 Eldorado No fuel getting to carb. Help! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi Everyone, This is my first post. I recently bought a 1969 eldorado as my first project car. I bought ...
    pwrofjoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Eldorado

1969 Eldorado No fuel getting to carb. Help!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I recently bought a 1969 eldorado as my first project car. I bought it from the previous owner who said that it just needs a new starter. I put in a new starter, changed the spark plugs, put some gas in the gas tank and gave it a go. The car was turning, but not firing up. I put some gas in the carb and the car was starting, but as soon as the gas in the carb was used up, the car died on me. I had a buddy of mine push the accelerator while I looked inside the car and could not see any gas being sprayed into the carb. Prior to me working on it, I'm not sure when it was driven last. My guess, it has been several years based on the cobwebs. Do I need to prime the carb in any way? Check the fuel pump and/or fuel lines? The previous owner told me the carb was replaced and newer, and when I looked it did look like a new carb. Any help, will be greatly appreciated!

What do I need to check and see where the problem(s) is/are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: 1969 Eldorado No fuel getting to carb. Help!

I'd start with the fuel filter, being that it's the easiest to check. It's behind the 1" nut where the fuel line runs into the front of the carb. Make sure you use a line wrench to loosen the smaller nut (1/2" I think), they love to round off. Since it's a mechanical fuel pump can't you step on the pedal a push gas though the line with the line off to make sure the fuel pump's working?

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

First obvious issue would be fuel pump and filter. If the car hasn't been running for several years, I'd disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put the fuel line into a funnel (so the old gas can be pumped out), and siphon all the old gas out of the tank.

Then, fill the carb float bowl up through the vent tube in front of the choke plate with gas. This will allow the car to run for about 30 seconds before it dies instead of just dumping gas down the hole with the primaries. Start the car and let the fuel pump pump out the old gas, then reconnect the fuel line, fill the carb up again through the vent tube and start.

Great! I will change the fuel filter just in case (costs $3). How much gas should I put in the carb once I disconnect the fuel line? Since it is a mechanical fuel pump, I assume the car has to be running in order for me to press the accelarator and fuel to be released from the fuel line, is that correct?

Do you guys recommend any additivies to either the fuel system or engine for a car this old, with an unknown history and has not run for the last couple of years?

Thanks again for your help. It's great to know that there are people out there that have the expertise and are willing to help others that want to learn.

awadecki is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 76 Eldo (54k), 76 Eldo (52k), 78 Eldo (9k), 85 Deville (43k)

I wouldn't dump anything in the car other than a can of Seafoam in the gas tank. Yes, the motor must be running for the pump to work. The pump is driven off the camshaft, so the faster the engine runs, the more it will pump out.

Get a squeezie bottle from your local grocery store and fill it with gas, then put a big squeeze into the vent tube at the front of the carburetor (the long open rod that sticks up). That will fill the float chamber.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

How much gas did you add to the tank, less than 5 gallons? If its like 2 gallons, add more. Disconnect the inlet fuel line at the carb, put a rubber fuel hose to this line and the other end into a metal container. Within 3 to 4 cranks of the starter you should see fuel strongly squirt from that hose. If not then take the metal fuel line off at the tank side of the fuel pump, blow compressed air into the fuel tank to verify fuel reaches the fuel pump. If it does, you need a fuel pump. If not then follow the metal fuel line back to the tank to ck for pin holes in the line or rotten, collapsed hoses at the tank. The cranking to ck for fuel should be done with a friend either cranking or watching.

Thank you! That was great advice. Now I can trace back to every element to identify where the problem is. You are right in your assumption that I added 2 gallons to the tank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.