High RPM
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, High RPM in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am considering using a 500 in our modified roadster being built for Bonneville. I need it turn at least ...
    oldracer19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

High RPM

I am considering using a 500 in our modified roadster being built for Bonneville. I need it turn at least 6500 rpm. I have a line on a '76 engine, and I have also seen a '70 on ebay, but it would be a long drive to pick it up. Any thoughts on whether a '76 would work well, or would the '70 heads be better? Acceleration is not as important as WOT RPM, as we have a couple of miles to get up to speed. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: High RPM

To get that rpm stock heads will fall short... before spending money and time on stock heads check out aftermarket heads... MTS has theres. and Potter automotive has some bigger ones with a big intake to go with them...Both aftermarket heads should get you what you want....Another thing , you were looking at a 1970 - 500 , the 1970 500 has the strongest crank and the casting number ends in 094...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Someone had a streamliner on the salt this year and I think they had two 500's under the skin. They broke the record for that class, but I don't know if they backed it up the next day. The run was on UTUBE. If you find this info, you may find out what they used to achieve this run.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

One consideration for high RPM would be the Rods, since those stock Armasteel rods don't like high RPM. 4800 seems to be about the safe limit from what I've learned.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Here a link to the Salt streamliner that broke LSR. It wasn't Utube. It was jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/5379917/worlds-f...07-mph-sets-la

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

And they did it with one engine!! not two or four like some of the old timers tried, and on gasoline too!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.