I need some good brake advise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, I need some good brake advise in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1968 Deville (472) and I just purchased the front disk brake system from a guy who had ...
    dbird35 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968

I need some good brake advise

I have a 1968 Deville (472) and I just purchased the front disk brake system from a guy who had a 1969 deville. I took everything from the spindle out plus the poportional valve...My question is do I need to install the poportional and change my brake lines or can I run the same brake lines that was used for the drums? And If I have to change the brake lines is there a place that sells the brake line pre bent......Somebody Plase Help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

Re: I need some good brake advise

when i did mine on the 68 the only thing i did was have the front flexible lines rebuilt because, I think, the fittings are different where they went into the old drum. Plus my old ones looked worn and I lengthened them for my suspension.

Also the metal brake line comes out right behind the spindle and on a disc conversion it will need to be moved to the front of the spindle.

Also there is a brake/suspension area that im sure this would be better in (just my $.02)

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The proportioning valve is a neccessity. Check that the brake line diameter from the installed system is the same as your drum brakes.
    I don't know the name of the company, someone does make prebent stainless steel lines. I have always bent my own lines. If I do a frame off, I'll use the these stainless lines.

I have had no locking/uneven braking problems without the valve.

I'm sure it is a good idea, but I havent used one on my 65' or the 68' that I'm currently driving now.

If I "slam" on the brakes, the front will do the same thing as the rear drums.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Isn't that proportioning valve close to the master cylinder on those old cars? 01devilledts are you sure yours isn't there near the master? That's the way my '70 Impala is; it doesn't even look like a regular prop valve.

There is nothing that I can see that that looks out of the ordinary. it goes: Brake Booster, Master Brake Cylinder, Hardlines to the wheels. Unless it is built into the Maser Brake Cylinder (which im sure it wouldn't be with factory 4wheel drums) then I dont think I have one

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

kinda sounds like those proportioning valves are over rated and possibly unnecessary.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.