500 from Eldorado in a 66 Deville. Help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 from Eldorado in a 66 Deville. Help? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 66 Deville and a 500 from a 70 Eldorado. I know I can change the trans, not ...
    Byro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 Coupe DeVille

500 from Eldorado in a 66 Deville. Help?

I have a 66 Deville and a 500 from a 70 Eldorado. I know I can change the trans, not a problem there. The two problems that I see so far are the exhaust manifold and the oil pan (425 is front sump and 500 is rear sump). Has anyone done this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 500 from Eldorado in a 66 Deville. Help?

This has been done.. not by me but I have read of two other guys doing or have done the swap.. Your 66 has a switch pitch tranny... What I have done, and if I were you I'd do, is swap all the internals from your 66 trans into a BOP case.. the 66 has all the best parts inside...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Mr. Bruce Roe, who posts on this forum, can direct you more on the switch pitch conversion than anyone else here. I think he even has a site with descriptions of this proceedure.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The engine used in 1966 was the 429, which is not compatible for exchange with the 500. You may have to rethink this conversion.

Check the other post here on opposite conversion. 500 into Eldo. If you can place a 500 into a Eldo, you maybe able to go the other way. You would need a rear sump pan and pick-up screen/tube.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.