425 Rocker Arms
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 425 Rocker Arms in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey all, I removed heads to remove broken ex. manifold bolts. Put everything together and rockers tapping very loud when ...
    cadcamper is offline Cadillac Owners Member

425 Rocker Arms

Hey all, I removed heads to remove broken ex. manifold bolts. Put everything together and rockers tapping very loud when I pulled heads everything was quiet. I used proper torque specs. I'm concerned with the rocker retainers can I use a shaft system on the heads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 425 Rocker Arms

How long did you run the motor after you put it back togther? sometime it has to run for several mins to quiet down and get oil to pump up all the lifters.

Ran it half an hour didn't go away. Used proper torque and pre lube. Even soaked lifters in oil before assembly. This engine only has 36,000 miles I'd like to save it. I'm thinking could time have jumped I believe it has nylon gear on cam ?

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Jumped cam timing would not make the lifters clatter, and it wouldn't run with one tooth off in timing It has to be something else. Check oil pressure with a gauge.

You could not have any oil pressure..First thing I would do is find out if I had oil pressure.. take the oil pressure sending unit sensor thats at the back of the block out and screw a gauge in... then pull out the distrubtor out put in a oil pump driver and turn the oil pump with a big elec drill.. see how much pressure you got.... If you can't get any pressure take off the oil pump.. its real eazy.. get a new gasket and make sure its real thin, like .006 thick[guessing]..People have had problems with gaskets made of the wrong material.. you could get a rebuilding kit with new gears.....now clean the pump and pack it with vasoline and put it back on the motor..now drive it with the drill and you should get oil pressure.. and make sure the oil filter is full of oil..

I have oil pressure. I ran it with valve covers off and have noticed the rockers are loose and twist side to side. This motor has retainers on it where tabs hold rockers in place this is first motor I've seen with these I've been all over the net and can't find info or replacements. I'm used to shaft rockers. I have manuals to this car but no info on adjusting this type of rocker. Car goes fine but inspection stations here in Maine believe the noise to be exhaust leak so they won.t pass it. Its not exhaust I tell them I know the difference.

Did you put any other new parts in ? When you took the lifters out did you put them back in the same hole? If you got new lifters, they could be the wrong ones.. chevy lifters are just a little bit shorter and would cause noise if used..

Same lifters same holes as well as the rods. I marked everything as it came out. Been down that road before. I've got a chance to get a 500 for $650 thinking I'd be further ahead seems parts are more readily available and all the outside stuff on 425 should fit. I still would like to figure out problem just for gp.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

One of my 425's develops a lifter tick, which I attribute to bleed down. Drives me crazy. Take the car out on the Interstate and blast it up to 80 mph. and the tick goes away for 5 - 6 days.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Those are called non-adjustable rocker arms. There isn't much you can do with them other than replace them. They can get a little ticky but I can't imagine it would be loud enough to be mistaken for an exhaust leak. With only 36.000 miles they should be in good shape anyway. I would have almost guessed a burnt valve; you didn't see any when the heads were off huh? Our local Midas shop uses a lot of orange silicone on their exhaust jobs; stubborn leaks may require deperate measures like that. If an inspection station says it has an exhaust leak they should be able to point it out to you while it is on the lift.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.