472 Starter issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472 Starter issues in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Recently purchased a 1968 Cadillac Coupe Deville for $1500..Was told by PO it ran great!!..Only problem was someone had stripped ...
    Layframe68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Coupe Deville

472 Starter issues

Recently purchased a 1968 Cadillac Coupe Deville for $1500..Was told by PO it ran great!!..Only problem was someone had stripped the ignition cylinder out and you had to use the hotwire method to start it.

After checking a few things and purchasing a brand new battery..I had rigged up a temporary switch on the wiring to ease the my starting techniques connecting the red HOT wire to the purple wire STARTER...

After finding out the fuel pump was OK and it was sending fuel to the carb and cleaning contact points and checking the cap...I decided to give it a few tries..It was turning over, But having trouble catching..I gave up for the day and left the battery connected..Not thinking anything of it..

Came back a few days later and the battery was drained..DEAD..nothing at all..

Recharged it and decided to have another try a few days later..Tried starting it and started smelling smoke..Looked under the car and saw smoke pouring out from around the Starter and flywheel..Im assuming I had overloaded the soleniod, Causing the wiring to burn in two..

Placed my hand on the positive battery terminal wire to disconnect it and it was RED HOT..I have never had that happen before..I can remember touching it before and remember it was warm..But nothing like this before..

Im assuming the starter soleniod is what drained the battery from being stuck or grounded out somewhere...My question is what is causing the terminal wire to get THAT hot..??

From here im assuming im going to have to pull the starter and possibly purchase a new one..Any other advice??

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 472 Starter issues

That positive cable must be touching ground somewhere. I have never heard of a solenoid shorting out like that but it may be possible. I would look over every inch of that cable but it probably should be replaced due to old age anyway. That key switch problem raises some red flags for me relating to the battery draining but it could be a bad positive cable if your lucky.

01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

When I brought my 68 home, a good amount of my electronics didn't work. I traced it back to the power wires going from the starter solenoid to the fuse box. they run right near the passenger side exhaust manifold and were melted right through. Maybe this happened to yours and now one is touching part of the chassis?

gsautotech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 fleetwood brougham, 1969 coupe deville

this happened to me once, i pulled the starter and took apart the solenoid. apprently inside the soleniod has wire contact which were broken. this caused the wire to burn. i replaced the soleniod and ..presto! problem fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.