Please dont be angry at this question!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Please dont be angry at this question! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    Captain wow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado (prev:78Eldo-73Eldo-79CDV-78Sev-79Sev)

Please dont be angry at this question!

I have posted this same question on the eldorado/seville forum..apologies if thats a bad thing...i wasnt sure ..anyway:

Hi, i live in england...my daily driver is a 1970 500ci fwd eldorado,
    It currently gets around 7mpg in town (havent taken it on higway yet as its waiting for new front end rubbers)

I had planned to add an LPG (liquid petroleum gas) conversion to save money on fuel bills. Lpg is approx half the price of petrol so that would make my eldo the equivalent of 14 mpg in town....in my opinion thats better but still outrageously expensive in the uk-(petrol is aprox £1.10 and lpg is approx £0.60 sterling). My ideal target would be 20 in town 30 on highway... Yeah i know!!

Here is my crazy question...
    Has anyone ever swapped the 8.2 V8 for a smaller/better fuel economy engine...maybe another more modern caddy block or even a diesel truck engine? This is a huge hypothetical question but i am serious in keeping this car and using it every day i'd sleep in it if my wife wouldnt mind! If it were doable i would want to keep the original engine nice and safe in storage just in case...some of you MUST have considered this.

There..ive said it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spence-29300 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Smile Re: Please dont be angry at this question!

Brace yourself matey, you're probably going to get some serious ribbing, you know

Diesel -- GM did have a go at diesel cars in 80's, but weren't very successful, in part for reliability issues

The car weighs over 4,600 lb so there's more to fuel economy than just the large engine, though if you remove it you'd probably lighten the car by 500 lb at least (then maybe it could be towed by a team of donkeys?)

seriously, I think an electric conversion could be a good answer -- you could probably get it done for about the same money as an engine swap, and it would be more economical to operate. lots of capacity for batteries too!

Captain wow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado (prev:78Eldo-73Eldo-79CDV-78Sev-79Sev)

Re: Please dont be angry at this question!

An electric Engine? do they even exist for swaps?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.