Engine swap time....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Engine swap time.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; well after buying this car (1979 coupe deville delegance) and driving maybe a few weeks im in need of a ...
    BRICKS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville

Engine swap time....

well after buying this car (1979 coupe deville delegance) and driving maybe a few weeks im in need of a new engine.
    i tried local yards for a 425 but no luck. faxed and called usa parts supply but again no luck. anyone have any reasonable advice as far as who to check out for an engine? im leaning towards the stock 425 either carb or fi, a stock 500, and my last option is a sb 350. any extra things i need to get like diff mounts for the 350 or 500. also will a chevy or seville 350 bolt up to my turbo 400? i was told it wouldnt. thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

Re: Engine swap time....

Black river is where exactly? I google'd it and came up with NY...

there are a few great places here in AZ with many motors available.

I picked my 500 up for $500 complete with everything but manifolds and trans.

These places are great and I personally have purchased parts and have been to both

http://www.dvap.com/
    800-905-8024

&

http://www.azvintageparts.com/
    1-800-433-9977

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

By far the easiest swap would be another Cad engine. 368/425/500/472 are all externally pretty much the same. What happened to the original engine?

I assume you have a carb; I wouldn't try the original EFI unless the car came with it. But a replacement engine can be converted to match what you have.

If you absolutely can't find a Cad engine, an Olds small block (350/403) or big block (455) will bolt up to your trans. A Chevy WILL NOT, without an adapter plate. None will be close to your engine mounts. I think a 79 frame might be shared with other lines, does your engine have a rear oil sump? All the others do, must be the same to clear the frame. If the frame is common, there may be some extra holes for other engine mounts; take a look on the top side near the center of the engine. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Using a Caddy engine may be the simplest swap for you, considering all the accessories and mounting issues.

im located in va beach/norfolk, va. checked those sites but shipping would be bout half the motor price.
    had lifter hang up after buying the car and changing the plugs. had a good amount of valve train noise at high throttle. had a low knock at idle and even worse when i first started it(car sat for 2-5 years). changed the oil and filter, 10w40 & lucas zddp additive. fixed a blown coolant hose and she drove fine for a couple weeks. starter died so she sat at my shop overnight with the oil drained. next day put in the starter and 10w30 w/ lucas additive and she knocked harder than the police. rod bearings is the cause we concluded on. put some rearend oil in to see if itd quiet up any but no luck! drove 4 bout 2 days back n forth to work and out sat. night. on my way home on the interstate car stopped knockin and was shakin...oil pressure light came on. just coasted at that point till i hit the emergency pull off and she was done.
    not a lot of smoke but she wasnt turnin over again. so i walked the other 4-5 miles home.

motor isnt seized and will be rebuilt but need a fill in for now! ive had 4 of these (77 coupe, 78 coupe d'elegance, 79 sedan, and now this 79 coupe d'elegance) and none of them except this one stopped workin on me!

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

You may have to take a trip, a few hundred miles to another city, and check some yards for an engine. The phone book in another town would help. Many auto salvage yards have internet connections to other yards, to locate parts. That may also help find an engine closer to your location.

yet to find anything promising in va. still lookin tho.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Bricks,
    Sorry to hear that. Out of all the 425's I've had, only one went down, and it didn't just die like a Chebby would. In fact it was wounded, but wouldn't give it up altogether.
    If you were closer, I'd sell you one of mine.

looks like u got a nice trio going. the 77`s are my favorite but the 79 will do.
    still searching for a motor, will get around to pulling the tired 1 in a few weeks. the i can start on the body mods.

just got a line on a 425 and 500 both with trannys. ill be picking up the 425 in a couple weeks and modifying it a little. like new chain and gears, lifters, springs, 472/500 intake and headers, and possibly a new cam. hopefully all will be well and ill be back in my coupe before valentines day. also looking to upgrade to the 3.08:1 with rear discs. pray to the cadillac gods for me, im working on a miracle! thanks for the help yall.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

My opinion: stick with the original front disk rear drum brakes. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I would have went with the 500; it would be the same amount of work. I'm just not impressed with 425 power.

y stick with rear drums? or upgrade the rear and keep drums?

i was looking for 1 of the 3 (425, 472 or 500) and decided to keep it original for a few reasons: i have 2 kids and am turning 25 this week so i dont have money to invest in gas everyday, my coupe is far from a trailer queen so i figure i can swap out in the future if im not happy with the 7.0 and ive had 4 of these and havent been dissapointed with the performance or overall ride, yet. so YES i am devoted to the 425 and it sitting under the hood of my slant back.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I've had both brake configurations and had less problems with the rear drum brake arrangment than with the disc brake arrangement. You just have to make sure the fluid system is properly bled. The proportioning valve often traps air near the rear brake line fitting.
    As Far as the 425 goes, this engine tuned correctly, provides good balance to this wheel base. Enough torque to get it moving at good rate, speed and allows you to maintain good control. Around here, I've been blown out by a couple of newer Mercurys, but then, I didn't really put the hammer down. I know they couldn't have whipped my blue Coupe. Put the hammer down and it doesn't spin the tires, but pulls off the line way faster than the Coupe I'm running now.

what rearends plant ur trios? going to pick up my motor and trans sunday. first stop will be the car wash!
    looking to do some upgrades but will tear the motor down and see if its needed first. at minimum it will get new gears and chain, gaskets and seals. and hopefully a new intake before being installed. any suggestions or input would be appreciated. thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.