Engine swap time.... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Engine swap time.... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I really don't know which rear gear set are in each of my Coupes or my '79 Brougham. I only ...
    deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Engine swap time....

I really don't know which rear gear set are in each of my Coupes or my '79 Brougham. I only do know that the Brougham's mileage suffers more than the Coupes.
    As far as your new aquisition goes, along with the new timing set, I would open the pan and check the bearing clearances. Always a good idea concidering that you have the engine out and assessable to you. Open the oil pump and check the rotor clearances and the condition of the pump housing. The manual covers the checking of the by-pass spring. I do it as a manner of practice, but replacement is questionable.
    If you wish you could check your cam lobe total lift. A tedious task, but if you wish to know it's condition, it can be done easier with the engine on a stand. I also check the distributor shaft clearance, as excessive travel effects the dwell time.

BRICKS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville

cams pretty burnt. looks like he ran it low on oil for a while. so its in for a full gasket set and bearings, cam, lifters, etc. might step up the lifters and cam since its getting everything else. anyone got any recommendations? any actual tested experience. thanks.

ps. should have went with the 500! im kicking myself as i type.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

A cam and lifter set that's a bit better than stock will keep the street manners in a Caddy. MTS is one place that can help you, and they have a good reputation.

Personally, I like the Crane Blueprinted cams. I've never had to buy one for a Cadillac, but I've sold them to owners of several other GM brands. I've always checked the dial in and they are right on and they come with everything you need for break-in. Remember, new cam, new lifters. You don't really need a cam with more duration. Replacing a worn cam and lifters will make a tired engine wake-up.
    Knock the plug out the back of your cam bore and with a light at the back of the block, visually check the cam bearings. If you see anything suspicious, concider replacing the bearings. If you have or know someone with a dial bore gauge, you can check the bearing to cam journal clearance. Worn Cam bearings help to rob your oil pressure.
    Check your push rod ends and the rod end of your rockers. You also might check the rocker to stanchion fits. Take the best of everything from the two engines.
    Hope this helps.

the guy who sold me the engine said hed give me the 500 for just $150 in an effort to make it right. and he actually heard it run.

very interested but its 3 hours away and ill be loaded with 3 engines, atleast 2 trannys and no where to store them.
    im gonna check on the cams and lifters now. and hopefully my tax refund will help me get this done before spring. napa gave me some good prices on a full gasket set, main bearings, connecting rod set, and oil pump. so its just a matter of money talkin.

[quote=BRICKS;2135320]the guy who sold me the engine said hed give me the 500 for just $150 in an effort to make it right. and he actually heard it run.

Good price.
    He has heard it run, but have you heard it run? Your the one he has to satisfy.

The 150 buck price tag is not bad at all. I would buy one in a minute for that price, even though I don't need it.

im gonna deffinately pick it up since i bought the pickup i hauled my 425/th400 combo in for the 200 mile trip. but i have to aquire a spot for it to rest. gonna get to work on the rebuild soon as well as body work and paint. still unsure on the cam selection tho. all in all should be a nice ride by summer.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Get the 500 and you will have reliable power. I really am not impressed with 425 power. I've had two and they don't really feel that much more powerful than a 305 or 307. I had an Olds 350 in an Olds Ninety Eight that would smoke either of my 425's. The Olds 403 was a nice little powerhouse too but the Caddy 425 just doesn't have it. My 77 Fleetwood 425 runs beautiful and I wouldn't change it just because of a lack of power, but if it dies, I would be looking for a 500. I would never sink money in a 425 until 472's and 500's really become extinct. Some people really don't care about power and the 425 is a perfectly good engine for just cruising around but I still think the 500's were just built better; before GM went on their penny pinching cost cutting experiments.

Yeah, the 472/500 engines are the best of that era for sure.
    If you get on-line for Caddy 500 engine parts, you will find sources for just about anything you need.
    Comp Cams also has cams for the 500 type, but I haven't used any. I've used a bunch in Chevies though and like them.

all the talk has me thinking i should build up the 500 and keep the 425s for future projects. anything is possible at this point. i got a pickup to haul the family so this car will be my toy until it gets a frame-off and driven only on sundays. lol

but i need some horsepower behind it. not sure of the diff in hp between the two. 425-180 carb, 195 injected

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.