not getting any spark
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, not getting any spark in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The 500 in my 76 chevy pickup quit running the other day. It started running really rough and bogging down ...
    bjbrooks100782 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 76 chevy w/cad 500

not getting any spark

The 500 in my 76 chevy pickup quit running the other day. It started running really rough and bogging down and then it died. It is not getting any spark at all. I checked the coil and it is still getting power to the positve terminal and the terminal going to the points still has power. I checked it with the starter cranking too. I replaced the coil, points, and condenser but it is still not getting any spark at all. The distributor is still turning and the points are opening and closing. I also replaced the wire from the coil to the points in case that was bad. Its not the wire coming off the distributor. The coil does not put out any spark at all. Anybody have any idea what could be the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Re: not getting any spark

Did you replace the condenser? Maybe the condenser is bad. I always replaced the condenser along with the contact points. A condenser that looses capacity will make a very weak spark, which is sort of yellow as opposed to a blue color.
    Open the points by jogging the engine with the starter, and poke a screwdriver across the point arms. You should get a spark from the screwdriver as it shorts the points. You could also dis-connect the negative wire from the coil and short that terminal to ground a see if the coil itself will make a small spark (small because the condenser is in the distributor)
    With the coil hi-tension wire removed from the dist cap, the end of that wire should have a hot spark if it's held near a ground, when the points open, or by shorting with a screwdriver. Be careful when doing this!!
    Hope this helps find the problem.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: not getting any spark

The plate that the points is screwed to has a ground wire on the bottom side.. these wires can break from constant moving while running...you have to pull the distrubtor apart to get at it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.