PCV Valve Elbow broke inside valve cover...problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, PCV Valve Elbow broke inside valve cover...problem? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was replacing my pcv valve and elbow, and the grommet broke off inside the valve cover. I grabbed some ...
    caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

PCV Valve Elbow broke inside valve cover...problem?

I was replacing my pcv valve and elbow, and the grommet broke off inside the valve cover. I grabbed some needle nose pliers and grabbed the piece. As I went to pull it out, it snapped in half, so basically, a half moon shaped piece of the grommet is still inside the valve cover. (1/8 inch diam by 1/2 length max) Do I have to open it all up and find that small piece of rubber, or will it be ok to leave it in and run it?? Ive been told both. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: PCV Valve Elbow broke inside valve cover...problem?

Honestly am not sure, but I would in no way leave it in there if it was my car. I would at least pull the valve cover off and see if I could find it. For the small amount of work it will take to do that it's well worth it compared to what could happen.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The answer is it MAY not harm anything, but then if if finds it's way to a return and blocks it, it will restrict the return of oil to the pan. If it goes through and into the pan it shouldn't cause any problems.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

There is usually a small baffle inside the cover that keeps the system from sucking oil straight out of the cover into the PCV system.
    That should hold the pieces in, however as stated they may break up over time and start clogging things inside the oil passages.
    It would obviously be best to remove it, probably taking the cover off and digging it out would be best.
    I wouldn't avoid driving the car until you can get to it, but eventually I'd get it done.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

If your worried about that little piece of plastic you might as well tear down the whole motor.. there are 10 times that many little pieces in that motor and in the oil pan.. All the valve seals are made with plastic in them and after 10 to 15 years they all break up and work there way to the oil pan...and the timing gear , that has plastic on it... I'm 100% sure pieces of that broke off and are in the pan..DON'T WORRY.....

caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

Thanks for the responses guys. Im no longer worried about this.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Yeah, those "plasticky" stem seals are a real GM screw up on a very good engine. I have a bunch around here because I never use them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.