Replacing 472 With 500 in my 1968 SDV - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Replacing 472 With 500 in my 1968 SDV in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Another question: can I use the fuel pump from the 68 472 or would i use a fuel pump from ...
    01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

Re: Replacing 472 With 500 in my 1968 SDV

Another question: can I use the fuel pump from the 68 472 or would i use a fuel pump from the 74 500? do they pump differently? The one on the 500 has a much larger canister and would like to use the one from the 472 with a smaller canister if possible?

oh and here's a horrible picture from the iPhone of the old timing gear that caused all this mess...
    The new motor has the same plastic coated gear, so I am replacing that with an all metal one.

pratch1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe Deville convertible

Looks like you are doing things right, Why do you want the smaller canister fuel pump installed...I would think that you would want the larger one in place if you want to add headers and cam set....It is most likely a larger volume unit.
    Perhaps they found a need to go larger in the years after your 472 was made.?
    I believe that your engine seemingly has less horse power rating for two reasons....74 was entrenched in the smog era.
    and also I believe that they changed the rating system for performance around 74 which makes things appear a drastic difference when comparing with earlier years.
    John

Looks like I will be going with the larger pump off of the 74, the reason being is that on the 68 the fuel filter is hard to find and the return to the tank goes through that item. On the 74 style it circulates through the pump and then I can just add an inline filter that I can get anywhere.

I figured if they pumped the same volume then why not go with the smaller one.

also this is being used on the 500 going in the car for now. I will be building the original 472 back up over time with a larger cam, nice valves, etc....

drmenard is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Do yourself a favor and don't use a stock replacement chain and gears.. they ALL are not as good as the plastic ones.. Get a colyes, sprokets and chain.. they are about $100 but that will be it ...no more problems... I used one of those cheap sets and after 10K miles the chain was stretched BAD...

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    Do yourself a favor and don't use a stock replacement chain and gears.. they ALL are not as good as the plastic ones.. Get a colyes, sprokets and chain.. they are about $100 but that will be it ...no more problems... I used one of those cheap sets and after 10K miles the chain was stretched BAD...
    I bought a "Cloyes" branded one? is that what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by steelybill View Post
    I'm still looking for a 500 power steering pump mount bracket. Do you suppose that place where your engine came from has one?? A phone number would be nice

Did you ever find the bracket you needed?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by 01devilledts View Post
    Another question: can I use the fuel pump from the 68 472 or would i use a fuel pump from the 74 500? do they pump differently? The one on the 500 has a much larger canister and would like to use the one from the 472 with a smaller canister if possible?

oh and here's a horrible picture from the iPhone of the old timing gear that caused all this mess...
    The new motor has the same plastic coated gear, so I am replacing that with an all metal one.

It's funny the timing chain doesn't even look stretched but the cam gear teeth are completely shot. I had a Chevy once that the chain got so loose it wore a hole through the timing cover. Nice job on the engine swap; it should be worth all the work. I'll bet you won't notice much difference in the power because they were just rated differently. they are all torque monsters.:

Colyes makes a cheap one for about $30... Don't use it .. before I used that new cheap chain I would use the old stock chain with a new gear... The best one to use is Colyes 9-3139.... they have one with almost as good chain for about $80... that ones fine for what you want..

I was looking for a new "Crankcase Ventilating Breather" and all I can find is just a normal "K&N" style filter. Mine connects to both the valve cover and the air cleaner housing. Can I just use a normal one or does someone know where I can find a factory style one?

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

That's a great picture, and it not only shows the bad sprocket, but how the fuel pump and distributor are powered.

Oh yeah, I did get a power steering pump bracket from the AZ salvage place (Desert Salvage) Thanks for that link 01devilledts

No problem, I now have an extra one that i would have sent you if you couldnt find one

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Isn't this place great!!!

A little update:

I have the motor ready to go back in.
    All the front suspension has been redone, new: upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends.
    All wiring has been extended and hidden behind fenders, with all old holes in the fender-wells welded up and smoothed out.
    Heater core has been replaced
    Front cross member has been modded to make ease of removal and installation of motor.
    Everything in engine bay primed, and everything lower than the fender-wells has been painted. (will paint the rest after the motor is in-place)

I will put up some pictures tomorrow since I forgot my camera today. This swap has been a great learning experience and am glad I started this project

Here are a few progress pictures. as of tonight, the motor is back in, and connected to the tranny, and bolted down.
    hopefully it will be running by the weekend.

Here is the mod I did to the radiator support to make it easy to re-install the motor

Here are a few of the dusty motor before installation

New Ball Joints/bushings

All holes filled & no more wire messes

Lower portions painted Satin Black

A few with the 500 re-installed

Looking Good....Make sure you give that HEI distrubtor a new wire.. and don't use the old resistor wire ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.