HEI confusion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, HEI confusion in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was timing my '70 472 with a later 425 stock hei and for some reason no longer saw the ...
    Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

HEI confusion

I was timing my '70 472 with a later 425 stock hei and for some reason no longer saw the mark on the pulley with the timing light. I swear this car was timed properly, but it's been pinging and I was tuning it so I figured I'd check. I advanced it VERY much (to the point that it stalled) and the mark came up from below. That mean's it's off by a tooth? Stupid me pulled the distributor out and thinking I could turn the tooth on the distributor screwed it all up. I tried to put it back in the way it was, but all I got was a LOUD backfire after I cranked it. Then smoke and a burning electrical smell. Now I don't know what to do. I read the shop manual and some threads on here, and understand that I need to crank the motor till the pulley mark lines up with the 0 timing mark. Where do I go from there? Could this backfire be something serious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: HEI confusion

On my Olds engines with harmonic balancer, The outer ring (mounted on rubber) has slipped and moved the timing mark to the wrong spot. I don't think you have a rubber mounted outer ring though. It does sound like slipped timing chain, the original should have been replaced decades ago. Better go back to basics, take out the plug on the number one cylinder, and turn the crank around till the piston is at the top. The timing mark better be near zero degrees. If that passes, make sure #1 is on the compression stroke. Be sure the rotor is pointed at cylinder #1 wire. Try rocking the crank, watch how many degrees it takes before the rotor starts to turn. 6 degrees means the chain is shot by my thinking. Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

The chain is only about 5 years old with less than 10k on it. That thought crossed my mind, but the things just not that old.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

Of course the timing mark is either on or 180 degrees wrong. Try bumping the crank another 1 turn, and set the distributor back in. Of course the timing chain/sprockets could be a problem. Are you sure you have the timing light connected to #1 ?? Just a thought........

I knew that question would come up, I even second guessed myself and checked the book. Front right facing correct? I thought maybe I got mixed up because my v6 is on the opposite, but no.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I guess you could pull the rocker cover on the front side, and confirm the both valves are closed. And with #1 plug out , you could poke something in the plug hole to confirm that the piston is at the top.
    Put a chalk mark on the damper at the timing tab for a starting place, install the dist, and see if it will work and be adjustable to run right.

Of course the rotor will have to be retarded from the direction it ends up in when the distributor gear rotates as it goes down in and engages the cam gear and oil pump shaft. Just keep fooling with it, and you will figure it out.

Front right facing correct?
    No! Front left facing. I was timing the wrong car! Got it done, just kept missing the stroke. Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.