500 hard start when hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 hard start when hot in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey Guys. My fresh '73 Eldo rebuid is exteremly hard to start immediately after shut down when fully warmed up. ...
    lessloop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac eldoado- 1973

500 hard start when hot

Hey Guys. My fresh '73 Eldo rebuid is exteremly hard to start immediately after shut down when fully warmed up. ((95% degrees outside) EVERYTHING is new (reman.) with a 1000 amp battery. I was reading some of the old posts on this exact problem for these cars and there's some great stuff. Batt cable size, etc. jk1000 posted that even the good reman starters probably have wire wound armatures and that the original starters had a copper bar armature which is much less prone to this hot hard start problem. Anyone know where I could start looking for a copper bar armature starter?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Re: 500 hard start when hot

I have my 500 rebuilt for an El Camino, and I'm using a Power Master light-weight starter from Summit Racing. It's a geared starter, with plenty of torque. I use those for all the rebuild projects, like Chevies ,etc.

Angry Matt is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

I'm also using a powermaster mini from summit. I bought the bottom one ($120 I think) and it works great, but not being specific to the car it was a little tricky to set up. I also use a velcro on starter cover for heat. How's your timing though? Sometimes too much advance can cause this issue.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

The Power Master starter that fits the Cad 500 (rear wheel drive only) is model 9000 or 9600, same as Chevy. Those are available in various torque capability, to use on high compression engines etc.

The flywheel arrangement on front wheel drive engines will not accept the power Master starters currently made.

anyway, the guys at Summit Racing can fix you up if you decide to go that way.

!-800-230-3030

lessloop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac eldoado- 1973

Thanks guys. Great info. I've had to put the car back under the cover for a little while for now. When I get back to it I'll look at the batt cables first. I'm pretty sure the new pos. batt cable is not 2 awg, and I left the original neg. cable in. If cable upgrades don't work, I'll check with the guys at summit for a high torque starter for front wheel drive. Matt, where did you get your heat cover? My timing is actually a little retarded right now because I'm also struggling with pinging under load. But thanks anyway.

Angry Matt is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

I bought the cover from summit. I think it was under $20? I'm honestly not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but I was ordering from there and figured, it can't hurt to try.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.