Which Edelbrock carburators to install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Which Edelbrock carburators to install in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 68 cadillac deville with a 472 and I was wondering if I decided to change the carburator, ...
    dbird35 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968

Which Edelbrock carburators to install

I have a 68 cadillac deville with a 472 and I was wondering if I decided to change the carburator, which Edelbrock carburator should I put in it? I know this maybe a simple answer but I really don't know.....thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

Re: Which Edelbrock carburators to install

I'm Not familiar with your year. What is the original carb?? I'm on several other forums, and folks have been having problems with the Edlebrock carbs, but I don't know which models. The original carb on some 60s cars was a Carter AFB, which is a very good, simple carb. Edlebrock makes a copy of that carb. They also make a Quadra-jet style carb. I haven't ever used their carbs.
    The question is, why do you want to change the carb??

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

No other carb will outperform your original Rochester Quadrajet. I would have the original rebuilt.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I agree with Al. Your Rochester Quad can flow at 800 cfms and has several advantages over other carbs. The biggest problem is throttle shaft wear. A good carb shop should be able to correct this, if tbat is a problem.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep - an OEM 750-800 QJ will supply over 700 cubic inches. That's why they have secondary air valves - so you won't "over carburete" the engine.

We use electric choke QJ's on our marine work and race Olds 455's, most done by JET in California, and not expensive.

Get to www.jetchip.com and look at their site and give them a phone call. They're very helpful and will build a QJ for any application.

I'm not knocking Vic Edelbrock's work - we use a ton of his parts - but JET will build a carb for your engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.