'73 472 into '79 deVille - advice?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, '73 472 into '79 deVille - advice? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a chance to obtain a '73 472 for a song and intend to swap it into my '79 ...
    bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

'73 472 into '79 deVille - advice?

I have a chance to obtain a '73 472 for a song and intend to swap it into my '79 deVille.

I have two questions to start out with.

I want to use a set of block hugger headers. What mods are needed to fit them in the '79 engine bay?

I still have the '69 modded intake - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1295606

... as well as the AC compressor brackets to properly bolt up my '79 unit. Should I use it, or stick with the stock '73 intake?

Thanks guys. More to come (and pics) as this goes along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: '73 472 into '79 deVille - advice?

Difficult to fit headers to this conversion. You have to physically check clearance because there is so little clearance between the exhaust ports and the upper control arms.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

From what I am told , you should forget those headers... I believe MTS has some bolt in headers for your car... if not the best thing to do is get a set of BBC headers and weld on caddy flangers...as for the the early intake, it will work great... the rear compressor mount may be different.. if so, you will need one from the early intake.. If you got the motor out it is best to change the timing chain and gears... get rid of that plastic gear and put in a good roller chain set-up... no cheap ones, good ones are about $100

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I tried the BB Chevy header route. Not worth the hassle in these cars! You really need to have custom headers made, since the BB Chevy have too many interferences with the '79s frame.
    The block hugger headers I used only needed some slight mods to the drivers side to fit right.

bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I'll just dispense with the headers.

Are there any compelling reasons to scrap the 425 exhaust manifolds for the 472 units? I know the earlier model is less restrictive, but is the gain worth the clearance issues/control arm mod?

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

It's real easy to just cut the excess bolt length off the passenger side A-arm, to allow the 472 manifolds to fit!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.